Monday, May 19, 2014

One Year

One year has elapsed since my graduation from Valparaiso University on Sunday, May 19, 2013.  It was the day I became an alumnus of that inestimable and beloved institution, and the event that inspired the launch of this blog.

What a year it's been!  And how wonderful to have the opportunity to use this blog as a means to chronicle what's going on with me, so that those I know well from my ValpU days can continue following what's going on with me, as well as using it as a canvass to express my other musings on the happenings in the world.

At this point in time, I'm certainly thankful for the job I have.  It's pretty straightforward work, but there's many interesting moments.  While making hundreds of phone calls a day, I've talked with CEOs, police officers, school district superintendents, and people who work at other well-known companies, like Coca-Cola and Best Buy.  All the while, I criss-cross the country--it's like going on a trip while sitting in place for a few hours each day.  I'm glad that it has provided me a good way to start out my post-college career.

But I hold firmly that my life isn't just about the job that gives me a paycheck.  And there's a lot that has happened with me beyond work.  Throughout this year, I've done a little traveling, been on live television, stood up for important causes, and explored sights in Chicagoland.  (The weather has also provided me some interesting things to observe.)

And after being away on a long-term basis for 4 years, I have also been able to reconnect with this place I call home in Oak Park, and with my family, day by day.  I've enjoyed the many times I've spent with extended family, too.

My college years gave me a new found appreciation for, and deepening of, my faith life.  In this past year, I am so fortunate to have had plenty of opportunities to channel that deepened faith life with involvement in church ministries.  Indeed, I need two hands to count all those ministries I'm involved in: lectoring, the Art and Environment Committee, Eucharistic ministry, serving as thurifer, joining in RCIA meeting discussions, Religious Education, and Confirmation preparation.  The first two are ones I've been involved with for many years.  The others have come up more recently.  The last two have been especially meaningful channels for my expressions of faith.  They've also allowed me to take stock of my personal growth, and how I can manifest my maturity while putting my understanding of faith in dialogue with the teens I'm guiding teens in their own respective faith journeys.  In my heart, it is undeniable that my involvement in church ministries is an important part of my life, and is something I will definitely plan on continuing to include among the many things I do.

In this past year, I've also really enjoyed being a ValpU alumnus, and those opportunities I've had to meet with other alumni, in which I sense that special connection.  One enjoyable opportunity I've had is the Christ College alumni reading group I've met with during this "spring semester" period, which is one of the ways Christ College keeps alumni engaged with the CC community.  These monthly meetings have been a great way to discuss some literature in an intellectual way, and chat about our lives, and things about campus, past and present.  What's great is that I have a connection with these people I had never met before by virtue of our shared experience of once being students on campus.

Being an alumnus makes me realize that, in a way, I've never really left the university community.  I fully understand that I have simply changed my role to participating in a new way.  I am no longer a student on campus day after day, involved in studies and other activities.  But I still remain involved in what happens on campus, the heart of this community.  I still follow what's happening on campus, and touch base with my friends who continue with their time there.  It has especially been a pleasure to return to campus on a few occasions to visit with people there.  The strong bonds I formed with people, in the midst of various circumstances, allow me to settle back in with people as if I've never parted from them.

By viture of these strong bonds, I still feel deeply connected to the community.  There's almost something mysterious and mystical about those connections I retain with Valparaiso University, in a way that's kind of hard to explain.  I find myself constantly thinking about the friends I made, even praying for them.  I still care about them, and what's happening with them as they live their lives as students.  I feel somehow present with them, as if I haven't really parted from them.  It makes me realize what I sensed during the graduation ceremony one year ago, and what made it an emotional time:  Something very profound happened during those four years on the "Fields of Valparaiso".  The impact the experiences and people had on me stay with me constantly, having shaped who I am as a person, and how I live my life in the present.  I ponder these things all the time, unceasingly drawn to them.

That is why I have much reason to celebrate one year later.  I had an extraordinary experience there at Valparaiso University, and it is something I carry with me every day, in a deep way.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, but I realize there's a typo in the 2nd to last paragraph. It should read, "By virtue of these strong bonds..."

    ReplyDelete