Thursday, May 19, 2016

Post-College: Three Years

So much happens in my life and in the world around me that my reflective side relishes the chance to stop and think about its broader meaning.  This blog has provided many wonderful opportunities for such musings, and it was inspired by the day three years ago today when I graduated from Valparaiso University with my Bachelor of Science degree.

Recalling this occasion takes me back to good times on the fields of Valparaiso.  In keeping with my list of 200 notable things about Indiana on my blog for the state's bicentennial celebration, here's some notable things about Valparaiso University:

#21: Heritage Hall, set in the western part of the campus, is the oldest building, which has had many uses over the years, and currently is the lawyering skills center
#22: The Brauer Museum of Art has some notable works of art on display, and it is set in the Valparaiso University Center for the Arts (VUCA), where theatrical and musical performances take place.
#23: The Christopher Center for Library and Information Resources is a pretty amazing library building, evoking a sense of "wow" upon entering.  I especially like going up the fourth floor, which has an outdoors terrace that offers splendid views of the campus, especially the Chapel, and beyond to the south and east.
#24: The Linwood House is a neat place set on the southern edge of campus, where 
#25: the Lilly Fellows, a very notable academic organization, has their offices, and is part of the noted Linwood neighborhood.
#26: The Linwood neighborhood is where  
#27: the Cottons lived, the first African-American family to move to Valparaiso, IN.
#28: The meteorology department has a radar tower in the western part of campus, which I was fortunate enough to have the chance to tour.
#29: Kallay-Christopher Hall is one of the newer buildings on campus, housing the meteorology and geography departments, with a fine weather center that has some great technological resources.  The center serves as a focus point for meteorology students for studying and also hanging out.  Its new design is pretty swell, as is the case with many of the new buildings on campus, like the Arts and Sciences Building.
#30: WVUR is the university's radio station.  I was fortunate to give weather broadcasts on the station during my junior and senior years.
#31: The Torch is the student newspaper, and has won some awards for the best Indiana college weekly newspaper.  I served on the news staff for a couple of years, and then served as co-weather columnist.
#32: The Gellersen Engineering and Mathematics Center has many superb amenities for the engineering students, which I am aware of because I interacted with engineering students often in classes pertaining to my meteorology major.
#33: The Chapel of the Resurrection has a labrynith with Jesus's "I AM" references.
#34: Otto Paul Kretzmann, whose name is on the main administration building, served for nearly 3 decades as Valparaiso University's president, and persists as a legendary figure to this day.
#35: Christ College is one of the oldest honors college programs in the country, and offers a interdisciplinary, humanities-based program that compliments any academic program well--it certainly provided a new balance to my scientific studies.
#36: The Christ College Freshmen Production is a wonderful annual tradition that takes place in the Mueller Hall Refectory.  It's always great to how the new freshmen display their creativity.
#37: ValpU has many distinguished faculty members, and one I want to highlight is Walt Wangerin, who is a prolific author on Christian themes.  I was delighted to have a class with him on Creation Narratives.
#38: The Lutheran University Association is the organization that was formed which acquired the university in 1925 when it experienced financial hardships.
#39: The Lutheran Deaconess Association has its offices in a place that basically has the feel of a home.
#40: ValpU also has the Confucius Institute.
#41: Outside the Chapel of the Resurrection is the Brandt Campanile, which rings on the quarter-hours, and also rings ceremoniously at the conclusion of the Opening Convocation to signal the start of a new academic year.  It is topped by a cross, signifying that ValpU is a university "under the cross".
#42: The Valparaiso University Men's Basketball team, from what I know, is one of the best around.  Back in 2013, it earned a spot in the NCAA March Madness Bracket.

Yes, many memories come back to my mind on this occasion.  I was thinking about this a few days ago while watching parts of the 2016 graduation ceremony.  One of the graduates gave a speech reflecting on all they had experienced in their four years, and all that's happened in the world.  He mentioned how during their freshmen year, the Mayan calendar prediction of the end of the world in December 2012 and the Boston Marathon bombing in April 2013 occurred, which took me back to my senior year, when those things happened.  

As I watched, I realized that the graduating students were freshmen during my senior year at ValpU.  Upon graduating myself, they were the last real link I had to the student body, and now they are off into the next stage of their lives.  It marks a shift of sorts in how I relate to ValpU.  I now share with all my fellow student friends there the status of alumni.  We now together don't have a physical presence on campus, but still we share a bond of community, having spent part of our lives there, and had significant experiences there.

This occasion also makes me think about what's happened in my life since I ceased to be a ValpU student and became an alumnus.  I've reveled in opportunities to be involved in my community in Oak Park, fueled by the passions I fostered on the fields of Valparaiso.  I've certainly gotten very involved in my home parish community of Ascension, channeling my zeal for faith by handing it on to the next generation in Religious Education classes.

I also now have another degree, MLIS.  I didn't really think I would go back to school on this day three years ago, but in the process of discernment, it was clear for many reasons that this path was the right fit for me.

It's been interesting to compare both Dominican and Valparaiso Universities. The former has buildings with a more historic feel, while the latter has buildings with a more modernistic feel.  The feel of graduate school was also different.  Like many of my classmates, I commuted to campus, and had involvements elsewhere, rather than focusing my life on campus.  Certainly this was the case for many of my classmates who have children and full-time jobs.  Library and Information Science as a field has a lot of breadth, even with its idiosyncrasies.  Like at ValpU, I found a close-knit environment, even though I wasn't on campus all that much, and there were many adjunct instructors who had jobs elsewhere.  One of the distinguishing aspects of Dominican's LIS program is that all the regular faculty members have had work experience elsewhere before coming to teach at Dominican.  I certainly appreciated how their work experience enhanced their ability to teach us about librarianship.

Dominican and Valparaiso Universities are also values-based environments.  There were many factors that drew me to study at Dominican, but the values of the school was definitely an important one that helped seal the deal for me, and was influenced by my experience at ValpU.  There, the values were about helping students to engage in those practices which lead to a life of service.  In some ways, I feel that made it such a welcoming environment for me when I was a prospective student, and then came to campus as a freshman.  I sensed everyone there really cared about me, and wanted me to be successful.  That made me want to strive to attain higher purposes.  My education wouldn't just be about studying, and then graduating and getting a job--just following motions.  I was getting an experience there that helped me see what my purpose in life is, to glorify the God in serving others, remembering that He has loved me so much, even through other people.  Indeed, my studies could allow me to accomplish something much greater, and being in a values-based environment provided that important perspective to help me keep the right focus.  Dominican University upholds truth and love, as it seeks for the members of its community to work for "the creation of a more just and humane world" as stated on the webpage about the University Mission.  Entering into a place that upholds such principles further invigorated my sense of purpose in life, to be grounded in truth, and driven to live it out in love for God and for others.  Notably, I graduated from ValpU on Pentecost Sunday--just as the class of 2016 graduated on Pentecost--an occasion that provides rich context as I muse on this anniversary.  The occasion celebrates when the Holy Spirit descended upon the disciples and empowered them to do the work of God and fulfill their life's vocation.  Furthermore, being at ValpU was the first time I more seriously pondered the conception of "vocation", which encompasses our whole lifestyle, which includes work, family, and community involvements.

So while I've faced many challenges in these past three years, and still do on this day, I also find myself living a very vibrant life, because I have a clear sense of purpose.  I found it while at ValpU, and have continued to foster it, especially in graduate school, and most certainly being involved in church ministries, especially teaching Religious Education.  The latter especially sets the context to drive me to give thanks and praise to God, Who through these experiences, has granted me my ultimate purpose in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment