Wednesday, June 8, 2016

11 Years of Reliving

The calendar dates for this year 2016 from March 1 through December 31 align with the calendar dates in 2005, an inestimable year in my life.

So today, Wednesday, June 8, 2016, my thoughts turn back to Wednesday, June 8, 2005, the last day I spent as a student of Percy Julian Middle School, and the day of my graduation ceremony that crowned the experience I had there.

Last year, on the 10-year anniversary of that day, I wrote extensively about why my Julian experience was so significant in my life.

But throughout the past year, I've had a number of experiences that have spawned further reflection on my Julian experience, and what it means for my life now as an alumnus.

If I've counted correctly, I've been back inside Julian a little more than a dozen times since June 8, 2005.  During the course of the school year that is concluding, I've made 7 different visits.

Back in September, I was working on an assignment for one of my graduate school classes, writing a profile of both the Oak Park middle school library media centers.  I had a very nice time talking with Jamie Winchell, Julian's new teacher-librarian, and then looking around the library media center.  It was so interesting to get an inside look at a place I used as a student, now with the perspective of a burgeoning library/information science professional, to see how the library fits into the overall purpose of the school.

During that visit, my 8th grade math teacher Mrs. Rogers popped by the library to drop off passes for students to come there during lunch, and she came to chat with me briefly because I had informed her I would be there that day.  Learning of her retirement, I made a point to schedule another visit with her before the end of the school year.  And so I came back to visit with her one last time in May.  In the few minutes or so leading up to the start of the school day, we had a nice chat, talking about what happened in days of old when I was a Julian student, what's currently happening (like the PARCC test), and I shared about what's happening with me.  It was nice to transport myself back to the days of math class, and see what's happening at present.  Furthermore, throughout these past 11 years as an alumnus, I've kept in contact with Mrs. Rogers, and she has been for me a connection to Julian, so I can stay current with what's been happening.

After my visit with Mrs. Rogers, I walked down to the 3rd floor and saw Mr. Vincenti standing outside entrance to his team wing.  I immediately went to greet him, and after prompting me with a couple of questions, he decided to invite me into his classroom—two floors above where I had science class with him—and we got into a good long conversation, with much reflection on what it means to teach.  He shared philosophy on teaching itself, and which involves showing genuine care for students, helping them engage with material, and go through the neverending process of learning.  He remarked how incredible it was to be having this conversation with me, one of his former students, that I've attained adult status.  This conversation was particularly meaningful for me as I reflected on what it means to engage students in teaching RE class.  (Notably, two students in my class were also students of Mr. Vincenti.)  Indeed, it was great being back in 1st period science class with Mr. Vincenti, just like it was 12 years before.

I had the opportunity to engage in some teaching efforts a few weeks later at the start of June.  I have been back at Julian to give presentations on meteorology in science classes.  I had contacted one particular science teacher about presenting a few months ago, and then we ended up finding a date in June, even in the midst of the flurry of activity at the end of the year.  What I have really enjoyed about giving these presentations is sharing my life's experiences that I've had since Julian with current Julian students.  And it's nice to have the connection, as I told them before I started that I was once a student at Julian like them, having been there at the pivotal moment when the building was brand new, and so was the 6th grade experience.  (In one of the classes, there were some students who asked me about what teachers were still around from when I was at Julian, and even at Irving.)

The students engaged well with my presentation, asking good questions, and sharing stories about experiences they've had with storms, prompted by some of my own "storm stories".  Being back for this presentation also reinforced my sense of vocation in library and information science:  I am able to engage in the work of helping people access information and make meaning of it--in this case, in the science of meteorology in which I have substantial expertise.  It's something I hope to do throughout my career.  And it was nice to reflect on this as I shared about my career path when a student asked me how I got interested in meteorology.  Indeed, it was great being back for 2nd period science class, like I had in 6th grade, as well as 1st and 3rd periods.

Outside of visits during regular school hours, I have been back at Julian for the Ethnic Fest, this year as well as the two years before.  (This year, I participated in the Ethnic Fest parade with my co-workers at the Oak Park Public Library, which stepped off at Julian--a juxtaposition of my current career path and a place that formed me so significantly.)

In November and February, I attended plays at Julian: West Side Story and Ballet Shoes.  Some of my RE students had roles in these plays, so I found it fitting to attend them, and enjoy the talent of all the students involved in the productions.

Teaching RE has certainly given me my most significant and involved interaction with current Julian students, as well as those who attend middle school at Brooks and elsewhere.  When I think about it, comparing my schedule to that of a typical middle schooler and family, there really wouldn't be much opportunity for our schedules to intersect.  Yet in taking the initiative to go where they're at, Religious Education class for an hour or so a week, I'm able to engage with them on a regular basis, in matters of faith, which is one of the most important aspects of life.  Indeed, my faith flourished while I was in middle school, in large part because of the deep appreciation for faith for myself that I developed in part because of seeing my Jewish classmates and friends so openly express themselves.  It's very fitting at the stage of life I'm in to turn toward the next generation and be part of the process of handing on the faith to them.  Faith is indeed a great gift that we are called to pass on.  It's such a joy that I can be involved in the lives of these young people by helping them grow in faith.  There's no doubt that it's one of the most important investments I have made in life.  And of course, it's nice to be able to relate to my students, especially those currently attending Julian.  Throughout my time in class, I would tell stories pertaining to the topics of the lessons about things that happened when I was in middle school.  As I presented something relatable to them, I was also able to relive middle school, a truly wonderful thing for me to do.

Reliving middle school keeps me fresh in what made it so impactful, in how it shaped me to be the person who I am today.  And that's exactly what I do each year on June 8, a day I consider as important as my own birthday, and celebrate just as much.  As part of my celebration today, I went by Julian, and even had the chance to step inside to drop something off.

While my graduation was a joyful moment of celebration of all I accomplished in middle school, it was also bittersweet as I bade farewell to the most cherished time of my youth years.  But while I've moved on from it as life would have me, looking back where I stand now, I delight that I've been able to relive middle school in the ways I have, by deliberately putting myself into contact with middle schoolers, through visits back to Julian, especially to present in classes, and in teaching RE.  As I progress forth in my own life, these experiences take me back to middle school, keeping me fresh in that experience that had such an extraordinary impact on me, and letting that impact reinvigorate me today.

Just as the plaque for my graduating class (see pictures below) still gives me a small place at Julian, so that experience continues to live on in my heart, compelling me to live for the glory of God as I fulfill my vocation or serving others before Him all my days.



No comments:

Post a Comment