Monday, November 21, 2016

Celebrating New Perspectives on Mercy

With the Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe, on Sunday, November 20, 2016, the Extraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy has concluded.

Here I am standing by the Holy Door of Mercy at Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago, on the evening before Christ the King Sunday.  Thanks to the man who kindly took this picture, who said he visited so many holy doors of mercy at cathedrals he couldn't remember how many off the top of his head.

The biggest take-away for me is a different perspective I have on mercy.  Sure, I knew mercy as something that someone extends to another in light of having done something wrong, and that God shows mercy to us sinners.  It's kind of like what I learned from watching Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie, in extending something to someone even when he/she doesn't deserve it.  (Please feel free to check out this video, and note what the song's lyrics say about compassion and mercy.)  And I remember Calvary high school youth pastor Craig telling us in class that "Grace is getting what we don't deserve" and "Mercy is not getting what we deserve".  That's more or less the understanding of mercy I started with back on December 8, 2015, when the Jubilee Year started.  And it seemed that my engagement with this Jubilee felt somewhat limited at first because I only abided by that one sense of mercy.

But then I started thinking more deeply about mercy, figuring this Jubilee was just the time to do so, especially in the latter part.  And my understanding of mercy broadened, particularly when I started pondering more the Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy.

I first encountered these works of mercy back in 8th grade when I was preparing for Confirmation.  As for the Corporal Works, I knew they are ways we meet the physical needs of people.  I didn't necessarily have as strong a command of the significance of the Spiritual Works, but I recognized that the process of helping my Religious Education students grow in relationship with God by faith connects with the Spiritual Works of Mercy, especially as they were in the process of preparing for Confirmation and then living faith beyond it.

I picked up some resources that helped me see how the Works of Mercy can be incorporated more into my life.  For example, one resource suggested that conserving water at home connects with "Giving Drink to the Thirsty" as a way of making sure I use water efficiently myself to ensure that others have sufficient water for their needs.

Then, while I was at the library, I encountered A Call to Mercy: Hearts to Love, Hands to Serve, a book that offers reflections on all 14 of the Works of Mercy, with the writings of Saint Teresa of Kolkata/Mother Teresa and those who worked closely with her as she and they reflect on her life's experiences in extending mercy to others.  It was amazing to see how Saint Mother Teresa so passionately sought to serve others and let them see the face of God the merciful Father--a passion that consumed her whole purpose in life, as she sought to see Jesus in others, the sick, and even those who criticized her.  Reading the book really challenged me to think not only about how I'm serving others through these works of mercy, but also with what attitude I do so.

I also found another book at the library, The Way of Mercy, that includes essays and other writings that speak about what mercy means, including the Bull of Indiction of the Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy.  One theme from the bull that stood out to me was how showing mercy to others reveals God's presence to others, especially in that mercy is such an integral part of His character.

And I went on a tour at the Chicago Art Institute, which gave me opportunity to reflect on the Spiritual Works of Mercy, one at each of seven different pieces of art.  Again, the reflections really helped me ponder more deeply what it means to have a relationship with God Who aids us in life’s difficult circumstances by the power of His mercy.  It was a very well-done reflection tour.

Then, something incredible took place in my Religious Education class yesterday that connected so well with the Jubilee.  I showed the students an excerpt from a video from the Chosen curriculum that explains what happens at Mass.  Then, each one got an old children's magazine, and looked for something that demonstrates the significance of Mass.  The students shared images that talked about how God is merciful to us, how He loves us, how Mass is a way we grow closer to God, and how Mass sends us forth to do good works, like the one gal who talked about how we should care for our earth.

As I listened to the various responses to the exercise I gave them to do, I couldn't help but be amazed by how these responses all connected with mercy:  It is all about God seeking after us, revealing His very Self that desires to forgive us our sins, and draw us into a closer relationship with Himself.  It was so beautiful to hear my students share these insights as we concluded the Jubilee of Mercy.

Having received mercy through forgiveness of sins, won for us by the Paschal Mystery, we are compelled by so great a gift to share it with others, now that we stand, forgiven, in relationship with God.  And the most important part is that receiving mercy, when we embrace it wholeheartedly, necessarily shapes our attitude toward how we love others, which is a direct reflection of how we love God.  And there are no limits to how we can show love to others in concrete, real ways, from providing some food to offering comfort.  These good works are the ways we show we have real faith from the forgiveness God grants us through the Cross, which was fittingly the Gospel reading for Christ the King Sunday that concluded this Jubilee.  (Jesus bore the wrongs patiently of those who mistreated Him, and forgave those, as well as the repentant criminal.)

I feel energized by these new perspectives I've gained on mercy, and look forward to heading out from the Jubilee Year of Mercy to continue in the exchange of mercy that God gives me to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment