Sunday, January 1, 2017

Grapes of Anticipation 2017

New Year's 2017 Greetings!

Once again, I've find myself in that fresh, blank slate kind of feeling on this first day of a  new year.  I think about what will fill this year when I reach December 31 and look back on all that happened.  Yet even on this January 1, I am already anticipating a number of events.  I reflect on what I look forward to in accordance with the Hispanic custom of 12 grapes upon the changing of the year.

Grape #1, a trip to Florida: I'm planning to head there later this month, starting with spending a couple days visiting someone in Vero Beach.  Then, I'll make my way to the Daytona Beach area for a wedding celebration for my brother and sister-in-law.  I plan to conclude my time there with some sightseeing, like in St. Augustine, and maybe manatee watching.  And to savor the trip experience, I'll soak in the country aboard Amtrak.

Grape #2, celebrating my Abuela's 80th Birthday: My family and I will mark this milestone later this month.  I rejoice in participating in this celebration for a very special woman, as my grandma and I have always had a special relationship.

Grape #3, a trip to Myrtle Beach: To celebrate my Abuela's turning 80, I plan to gather with my family, including extended relatives, in Myrtle Beach in May.  It will be another great opportunity to head south.

Grape #4, further opportunities to engage professionally with my new degree: With my newly-minted MLIS degree in hand, I look forward to the ways I'll put it to use in my profession in the field of library and information science.

Grape #5, marking Canada's 150 years: I look forward to following the celebrations of the neighboring country, as the True North Proud and Free marks 150 years since becoming a confederation on July 1.  I hope to at least take a short trip to Canada, feeling this is a fitting time to visit, and is the right time to finally obtain a US passport, which I've never had before in my life.  (On the subject of anniversaries, 2017 will mark some other 150-year anniversaries, like the birth of Frank Lloyd Wright, particularly pertinent to Oak Park, the location of his home and studio, and the state of Nebraska, meaningful for me in light of my recent experience at St. Augustine Mission in Winnebago, NE.)

Grape #6, Christ College 50-year anniversary: The Honors College of Valparaiso University will mark 50 years since its formation.  I hope to take part in the festivities surrounding a unique institution that encourages its members to ponder more deeply what it means to be human.

Grape #7, the new presidential administration: The democratic process of the Republic of the United States of America will continue to unfold this month, as a new president takes office.  I'll be following to see how it all plays out as the United States undergoes this transition once more.

Grape #8, campaigns leading to local elections: We're already in the incipient stages of the campaigns for elections in April for municipal offices.  I look forward to participating in the conversations that occur during the campaigns, and continuing my involvement as a United States citizen by doing my part in making an impact on local affairs.

Grape #9, exploring new places in the local area: I always find some interesting new places and experiences to have in the local Chicagoland area, and I look forward to what I'll get to do this year when out and about.

Grape #10, PBS Masterpiece's Victoria show: Seeing ads for this new show piques my interest in a significant period of British history, defined by the second longest-reigning monarch.  I plan to spend several Sunday evenings watching the episodes starting later this month.

Grape #11, 500 years since the nailing of the 95 Theses: I read about an event that took place this past October attended by Pope Francis and Protestant leaders that looked ahead to October 31, 2017, marking 500 years since the day Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the door of Wittenberg's Castle Church.  I look forward to noting any conversation that arises from the occasion, especially ecumenical dialogue, as I'm hopeful all of us Christians are in a position to seek greater unity in this day and age.

Grape #12, new opportunities at Ascension: The parish hired some new staff in 2016, and their promise in engaging the parish community has already shown in the few months they've been at Ascension.  I look forward to the new opportunities that arise from initiatives they spearhead.  I particularly look forward to seeing how youth ministry at Ascension will grow with Matt Goto's efforts, and helping as I can.  (I'm also interested in seeing what happens with the Holy Fire gathering this year.)

Despite challenging circumstances in my life, I found myself living a good life because my faith is so vibrant.  I know that God offers me support, and won't give up on me, which inspires me to not give up on Him, and keeping tending to this great gift of faith He gives me.

So, yes, I have a few things I'm anticipating to get me going eagerly into this new year of 2017, remaining aware that much will happen that I certainly can't imagine now.  But faith teaches me the wisdom, so that I venture forth into this new year of 2017 into whatever it has in store for me, commending myself to the grace of God, as always, for He, the God outside of time, remains the same through all time, yesterday, today, and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment