Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Dear 1036: Tom the One and Only

Dear 1036 Clarence,

First of all, I'm glad that when some of our mail ended up at you, the new owners were kind enough to reach out to me about it.  And I was glad that when I stopped by for it, they let me come in for a moment as they gathered the stack.

As I muse on memories, I think about Tom Skilling, who retires as WGN-TV meteorologist today after more than 40 years.

My memories stretch back to when we used to get The Chicago Tribune, and he contributed content to the weather page.

When I was home during the week for a day off from school, I enjoyed turning on the WGN TV Midday News and watching Tom's weather segment.  I liked his enthusiasm for the details he shared about the weather.

I remember my Great Aunt June admired him.  When she was at Christmas Day dinner in 2012 at 1036, I showed her a photo of Tom and me from just earlier that same month, and I watched her light up as she said, "Oh, for Heaven's sake!"

Later, on June 27, 2013, after some rain in Oak Park, I took this photo from the back of the house of a rainbow and sent it to Tom.  He replied back to say how great the photo was and how much he appreciated that I sent it, like so many others who sent photos.



He's truly a one-of-a-kind TV personality.

I was in front of the TV that was in our backroom for so many years to watch his heartfelt final sign-off remarks.

Now he's entering the realm of memories, not to be too soon forgotten, just like you.

Indeed, with vivid memories of you, I declare that you shall not fade into the background but shall remain deep in my heart.

We remain connected:
All my relations.

God's blessings,
With gladness and gratitude for you,
With abiding love for you,
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment