Sunday, March 24, 2024

The Jesus Year

Lent is meant to be a time to think more deeply about our relationship with God.

So it was only fitting that a rather notable remark was made in a conversation I had during a Lenten faith-sharing group.  I mentioned I would be absent soon because I was going out of town for my birthday weekend.

Someone asked how old I would turn.  Upon replying 33, Molly in the group remarked it would be the "Jesus year", since that is what the Christian tradition established as how long Jesus Christ lived on Earth.

So while 33 might not be a typical milestone birthday, Molly's remark definitely gives me something to consider.

I'm reminded of a plaque I got 11 years ago when I graduated from ValpU.  It says, "Who you are is God's gift to you.  What you make of yourself is your gift back to God."

In other words, I think about one of the phrases the priest uses at the conclusion of Mass: "Go in peace, glorifying the Lord by your life."

When I think about what it means to be gift, especially in light of Pope St. John Paul II's Theology of the Body, I see that I can derive a strong sense of purpose by giving of myself, making something of this gift of life.  Giving is a way to make Christ present in the world.

I listened to an insightful Lenten reflection at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, which focused on the idea of sacrifice.  It's well worth your time to spend 14 minutes viewing it.  For the purpose of this blog post, I will summarize two major principles.  Sacrifice is not about the drudgery of giving up something, but is ultimately meant to be for the good of others.  And similar to the relationship of the Three Persons of the Trinity, we are meant to sacrifice as a way to give to others, which is our true purpose in life.

Truly I've found so much meaning in the ways I give, especially with my Religious Education students over the past 11 years.  It's going to be quite an adventure as I continue delving more deeply into my purpose by what I have to offer in this new year of my life and beyond.

And so while March 16 is my birthday, it is a day that finds meaning because of all the people who are part of my life, making that day and all the other days special.

1 comment:

  1. I think it was you who pointed out to me when I turned 33 that it was the "Jesus age"!

    ReplyDelete