Saturday, November 28, 2020

What This Place Means to Me

It was 28 years ago today, on November 28, 1992, when I, as a toddler, became a resident of Oak Park when my family moved here. Those 28 years are a substantial quantity of time that speaks to a substantial quality of time I've had here, and definitely establishes that Oak Park has made its mark upon me.  That has become even more apparent in recent years, as evidenced by how I talked so much about this village when I was at ValpU, particularly during my first year there, that my friend Roy mentions Oak Park when he does impersonations of me.  I also think about special my homecoming was 10 years ago this month for Thanksgiving Break in 2010, when my longtime roommate Zach came with me and got to see this place so dear to me, which may very well have been the first visit, or among the first, a ValpU friend paid to my home.

I experienced the love of family here in this home for all these years, which I remember fondly on my birthday 4 years ago when we got dinner from the hot food selection at Pete's, and I felt a wonderful sensation as our foursome dined together.  One of my other favorite memories was how I got to travel the USA and the world at the computer playing the games Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego? Amtrak Edition and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? 

From this home I have gone forth to be part of what this community has offered me. I think especially of the distinct culture in southern Oak Park, and most certainly south of the I-290/Eisenhower Freeway, with the presence of Barrie and Rehm Parks, Irving and Lincoln Schools, the Southeast Oak Park Organization (SEOPCO), and businesses like Fair Share, Harrison Jewelers, Pete's Red Hots, the Oak Park Bakery, and Hole-in-the-Wall.  In the years after I left Irving and went to schools further north in Oak Park, it became more apartment to me how the mark of the southern part of town was upon me.

And among other wonderful places in Oak Park I enjoy, Jerusalem Cafe and Grape Leaves both offer wonderful selections of Mediterranean food.  Aripo's was fabulous because it added something so distinct to the downtown Oak Park scene with the Venezuelan arepa sandwiches.

A great outing during the summers is shopping at the Farmers' Market, with excellent offerings of produce from around the Great Lakes region.  In fact, to celebrate 28 years here, I had the last of the apples I bought 4 weeks ago from the Walter Skibbe stand at the Farmers' Market 2020, which is in this photo below.


Thinking about Oak Park, I keep coming back to the sense of closeness in this community, even with over 50000 residents.  We embrace our institutions and organizations for the way they bring us together.

And while we live in the shadow of Chicago, we still distinguish ourselves, having much to offer to the surrounding area with Chicago and other suburbs.

I've valued the opportunities I've had during my time in Oak Park to be part of shaping this community, which is a large part of the reason why my time at Julian was so significant.  Even volunteering and then working at the Oak Park Public Library was a way to do something for the broader community as the library seeks to engage.  Additionally, I have given back to the community in an extraordinary way by serving as an election judge.

And I continue to think much of the ways I've been involved at Ascension Church, especially as a Religious Education teacher/catechist, giving back to the community by serving the youths in my class, which has continued, even as I now teach from home on Tuesday evenings.

With Thanksgiving Day still fresh on my mind, as I celebrate this occasion of moving here, I know have much to give thanks for because of the meaning of my home here in Oak Park, and how that meaning continues to have an impact.

Thank you, Oak Park.

Thanks be to God.

God bless my home.

God bless Oak Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment