Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Dear 1036: Summer Sun and Night Lights

Dearly Beloved 1036,

Summertime is here...happiness and cheer...because why does Christmastime have to keep all the happiness?

There was plenty of sun to come through the sunroom windows in the back of the house.  Weasley, the dog, whom we welcomed into the family 5 years ago this month, certainly enjoyed lounging in the sunlight by the windows in that backroom.

One of my favorite summertime memories is going out on warm night, especially after a hot, humid day, and searching for fireflies.

My earliest memories of catching fireflies were in the backyard of my grandparents' house a few blocks east on Highland Avenue.  I would catch fireflies with Naomi, the daughter of their next door neighboring family, who was my age.

I carried on this enjoyable activity on the grounds around you.  As I stood outside, I would keep my eyes peeled for the small flickers of light and then dart after one of them to catch it.

I started with one bug house, which was a cylindrical shape.  Then, on a family road trip, I bought a bug house at Cracker Barrel, most likely somewhere in the Omaha area.  I used it extensively.  One evening, I had a bumper crop of catching 60 fireflies.

Then there was the evening in the summer 2010 when, after an ice cream social we hosted for the neighbors, I was firefly catching for a long time in the evening with the neighborhood children, including Charlie, who lived right across the street.

May you always remember how much I love you and that you will not fade into the background, but still be always illuminated in my memory, like the light of the fireflies always flickering on in illumination.

God's blessings,
All my relations,
Paul

Two fireflies in that bug house on a summer's night at 1036


No comments:

Post a Comment