Friday, July 28, 2023

Dear 1036: Summer Reading

Dearly Beloved 1036,

It's summertime.  And a great memory I have is the children's summer reading program of the Oak Park Public Library during the summers of my elementary school years, up to when I started 6th grade.

Customarily, each week, Mom would take Eric and me to the Maze Library.  We'd check in on our progress of how much time we had read during the past week, and sometimes, we'd get prizes after reaching certain benchmarks.

Then, we'd pick out books to read for that week.  I was so eager to get as much reading time in that I would put my face in the book as soon as we walked out the door of Maze.  My face would stay in that book for the entire walk home, usually about 10 minutes.

Upon getting inside the refreshing cooled air of our house, I'd remove my shoes, with my head still focused on the book, and immediately find a comfy chair in the living room and keep reading.

Two of those chairs that I would often use have followed me to my new place, and provide me a connection back.

Once I aged out of the children's summer reading program, I moved up to serving as a teen volunteer, which was 20 years ago this summer. I volunteered for 6 consecutive summers.  I greatly enjoyed interacting with the children who came to check in their progress, and hand out prizes.  Truly, I was in my element, and I enjoyed passing my time there.  In between helping those who came to the table, I read, just as I continued to enjoy reading at home during the summer months.  There were other fun activities, too. In fact, just days after my 8th grade graduation, I got my red gown and a hat from the Medieval Times field trip in 6th grade and went to Maze and dressed up like someone from Medieval Times to welcome people to a themed evening kick-off party.

With much gratitude and gladness for you, I declare that you shall never fade into the background but remain deep in my heart.

All my relations,
God's blessings,
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment