Sunday, July 28, 2024

Dear 1036: The Grounds, Grandparents, and Great Gifts

Dear 1036 Clarence,

Summer is a great time to be outdoors.

I enjoyed the outdoor grounds surrounding the house.

There's a rather sizable backyard.  I enjoyed walking around in the grass with its soft feel.  Sometimes at night, it helped me enter into a prayerful, meditative state while doing so.  I especially delighted in the light of the full moon on a clear night.  A handful of times, I observed a total lunar eclipse from the backyard, which gave the moon a distinct red look.

The same goes for walking around in front of the house.  At times, I could hear the rustling of the leaves on the tree in front.

Even when we got landscaping work done, I still liked walking around the yards in front, in back, and to the side.

At one point, Mom found some decorative items to put in the front ground of the house and they lit up.  I noticed many wonderful comments from people who passed by and admired those decorative fixtures.

Today, July 28, is just two days after the Feast of Saints Anne and Joachim, the parents of the Blessed Mother Mary and the grandparents of Jesus.  One memory of my grandparents in you is the gifts my paternal grandparents gave me at a gathering after my Confirmation Mass.  Abuelo Jose gave me a piggy bank.  Abuela Vel gave me a sketch of the Holy Family.  They had a special part in encouraging me in faith.

In light of the recent awe-inspiring experience of the National Eucharistic Congress, and starting to hear the Gospel readings from John 6 today, I'm reminded of when I was preparing for my First Holy Communion.  One night, in the weeks leading up to that Mass, someone from the St. Giles Family Mass Community stopped by with a loaf of homemade bread as a token of goodwill and encouragement for me as I drew near to my First Holy Communion Mass.

With these memories, I declare that you shall never fade into the background but ever remain deep in my heart as that beloved place, that beloved world:

We shall remain ever connected:
All my relations.

With much gladness and gratitude for you.

God's blessings,
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment