Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Dear 1036: Seeing History in Athens

Dearly Beloved 1036 Clarence,

There's something special about seeing athletes from all over the world come together for spirited competition in the Olympics.

And usually, it's a great opportunity to see the host country showcase itself.

I recall fondly when I watched the Opening Ceremony of the 2004 Athens Summer Olympics on the evening of Friday, August 13, 2004.  While I watched the 2000 Sydney Olympics Opening Ceremony, I have few memories of it.  I have many more memories of what I watched in 2004.

There was an epic opening montage, with the Jurassic Park theme as the background music.  I was so intrigued to see the artistic part of the program displaying different parts of Greek history, from the spelndor of the Parthenon in ancient days to the rise of the Orthodox Church and then the many-pleated soldiers of the independence era.

I also had this sense that I was watching a historic occasion, as the Summer Olympics returned to Athens, its homeland, for the first time since the First Olympiad in 1896.

Indeed, it was a great evening to see the world stage from the comfort of you, beloved 1036.

That evening, along with many memories, shall stir me.

You shall not fade into the background but remain deep in my heart as that dearly beloved place.

We shall be ever connected:

All my relations.

God's blessings,
With joy,
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment