Sunday, September 20, 2026

Partying like 1876 Up a Mile High

I have had so many good times in Colorado with my extended family there.  Three years ago, I was there for the monumental occasion of my Great Aunt Carmen's birthday when she turned 90.  Eager to find another opportunity to return, it felt fitting to travel once more to Colorado for another momentous occasion as the Centennial State marked its 150th Anniversary of Statehood.

Early in the afternoon of Thursday, July 30, 2026, I headed to Chicago Union Station.  This day is special because it's the birthday of my Great Aunt Carmen, making it a good day to start my journey west.

California Zephyr display inside an entryway of Union Station

I got to Union Station around 1:30, and saw that the westbound California Zephyr train was delayed.  I spent the next four hours mostly waiting in the Great Hall.  

The California Zephyr train #5 departure is listed third from the top in the upper right quadrant.

Within the first few minutes, I saw several Amtrak employees meandering around, stopping to talk with passengers.  Looking out with curiosity, one of them, Emma, eventually approached me. She explained that she was in a training class for new Amtrak hires and they were talking to passengers as a way to get ready for their work onboard trains and learn about their experiences.  I gave her an earful about my travels on Amtrak have been so great, all the way back to my childhood trip looping around the western USA on Amtrak.

I lingered for a while in the Great Hall, reading, surfing the Internet, and enjoying a Chick-fil-A sandwich for dinner.

I posed for a photo by the California Zephyr poster in the Clinton Street entryway, taken by someone who I met again on the train west.

Around 5 PM or so, there was an update that the train was boarding.  We got seated, and after the crew completed pre-departure tasks, the train departed at 6:12 PM CDT.  (Please note that times in this post are MDT unless otherwise specified.)

I enjoyed the views heading west out of Union Station through the Lower West Side of Chicago and into the suburbs, some of which were having outdoor festivities in their business districts nestled along the BNSF tracks.  

Here's the view of the Chicago skyline looking out the back of the train toward the north as it travels out of the station.


Connie's Family Restaurant is visible at Harlem Avenue at the edge of Berwyn.

There were great sunset views as the train traveled through the fields of Illinois--please see photo below.


It was dark by the time we reached the first fresh air stop at Galesburg.  Within the hour, the train crossed the Mississippi River into Iowa, with the US 34-Great River Bridge lit up splendidly.

During the night, I got off for fresh air at Ottumwa, IA, followed by Omaha and Lincoln in Nebraska.  While the latter wasn't supposed to be a fresh air stop, I got a great view of the almost full moon.


Around 6 AM CDT, the train arrived at Hastings, and I excitedly drank a Kool-Aid pouch to celebrate the hometown of its creator.  It was also around this time that sunrise occurred, and I admired the ever-increasing morning sunshine as the train traveled west through Nebraska.

Close to 8:00 AM MDT, I got seated for breakfast in the dining car.  I sat with a family who was traveling from coast to coast.  I enjoyed their company.  For breakfast, I had French toast with chicken sausage--please see photo below.


Here is my breakfast.



David, one of those in the family I sat with, photographed me at my seat before I started eating my breakfast.

Right after I got my meal, the train entered Colorado, with a wonderful Welcome to Colorful Colorado sign on the side of US 34 within full view from the table.  Here's a short video I recorded of the moment of entry into Colorado.


The train continued due west along US 34 to Fort Morgan, and then began following I-76 toward Denver Union Station.  The bright sunshine provided a good view of the Rockies rising in the distance.

The Rocky Mountains rise up in the distance as the train nears downtown Denver.


The train arrived at Union Station around 11:30 AM.  Once I detrained, I got an Uber ride to the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception and arrived just in time for 12:10 Mass.  I always appreciate visiting this Cathedral because its bright white interior feels so heavenly and transcendent.

Following Mass, I walked to the Civic Center to board the Free MallRide bus back to Union Station.  There, I boarded the G Line to Pecos Junction, where Laura and Doug picked me up.  I went with them to the Wishbone, where they picked up a large carry-out order for lunch.  Then we went to Aunt Carmen's longtime house, where many of the family were sorting through the house.  Upon arriving, they all took a break for lunch with fried chicken, Texas toast, and mashed potatoes and gravy--pleasee see the photo below for my plate.  


Then I went for a walk up the hill to Skyview Park to admire the majestic views.

Looking in a southerly direction toward the Denver skyline

Looking west toward the Rocky Mountains

When the work was done, Cynthia and Mark brought me back to their home in Arvada.  For dinner, we had pizza from Randi's, a local place, which was right after a thunderstorm passed.  Following dinner, we played Ticket to Ride.  Afterwards, I went for a night walk through the neighborhood to the nearby Dutch Bros.  By 11 PM or so, I was asleep.

Our pizza from Randi's. It had green pepper pepperoni.

The end of our Ticket to Ride game.

My Dutch Bros. purchase

Dutch Bros. all lit up at night

The next morning, Saturday, August 1, the grand day, I was up around 7 AM.  After a light breakfast, Cynthia and Mark took me to downtown Denver.  They dropped me off by the Colorado History Center.  

A Mariachi Band plays by the front entrance of the History Colorado Center. I was so excited to hear Las Mañanitas.

From there, I walked to the State Capitol, where I arrived in time for the 150th Anniversary ceremony at 10 AM.  Among the speakers were the Colorado State Poet Laureate, someone who spoke on the mile-high designation at the Capitol building, State House Speaker Julie McClusky, and Lieutenant Governor Diane Primavera.  

A historical reenactor dressed as John Routt, Colorado's first governor, read the statehood proclamation.  This video below shows an excerpt toward the end.


Toward the end of the ceremony, Jared Polis, the current Governor of Colorado, appeared.  

Among those in the seats of honor are, on the far left, a reenactor portraying Colorado's first Governor John Routt, Colorado State House Speaker Julie McCluskie (in the middle), the Colorado State Poet Laureate, Lieutenant Governor Diane Primavera (in the greenish shirt), and Governor Polis.

There was also a group of band students from local high schools who played festive music.  It was particularly profound to hear the band play "America, the Beautiful", the song inspired by the view from Pike's Peak, and I could see the mountain majesties in the distance as I watched the band play.

Here's a video with the refrain of the song, and I'm pretty certain you hear me singing along.


After remarks, there was a procession of cakes down the west steps of the Capitol, and Governor Polis cut the cakes.  

The wide selection of birthday cakes and other treats

I got in line and got a nice piece of white cake.  

A fellow visitor photographed me posing with the cake and a celebratory fan.

Nearby, there was a tent from the 121 Brewery, which had samples of soda to offer, including a special soda for Colorado's 150th Anniversary, flavored like a cherry or strawberry popsicle.

The special sodas

Here I am posing with the Governor Routt reenactor, photographed by a fellow visitor.


After the ceremony ended, I walked back to the History Colorado Center, where there was a much shorter line for the pancake breakfast.  


The view looking south on Broadway

Here's my pancake breakfast, with apple juice.

A group with the Daughters of the American Revolution ring the Liberty Bell replica in Liberty Park between Denver City/County Building and the State Capitol.

Here's a view of the Colorado State Capitol, with its golden dome gleaming.

As I walked through the Civic Park I watched the Liberty Bell replica rung by Daughters of the American Revolution.  I walked to the Cathedral to have a few minutes of quiet prayer. Then I went insdie the Capitol. I met Lieutenant Governor Diane Primavera, who had an open house in her office. 


A fellow visitor photographed me with Lieutenant Governor Primavera.



There was art on display in the Lieutenant Governor's office.


Subsequently, I joined a tour group to visit the dome.  The views from the dome level were amazing.

Looking west

Looking east along Colfax toward the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception

Looking down

I zoomed in on my camera lens to get a closer look at the Rockies.


View looking north



I lingered around the Capitol a little while longer, which included a stop at the Colorado Governor's office.

Someone on Governor Polis's staff photographed me at this ceremonial desk.  I believe it was someone in the Governor's Office of Constituent Services.

By that point, it was around 2 PM, and I went to find lunch.  I ended up at the Cafe of the Colorado History Center.

Once I finsihed lunch, I looked at the exhibits, including an exhibit highlighting moments in US history and an exhibit on Colorado statehood.

A fellow visitor photographed me by a display on the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.

Entrace of the Moments that Made Us exhibit

Special exhibit of Colorado's statehood

Subsequently, I made a quick stop inside the Denver Central Public Library before walking to Holy Ghost Parish for 4 PM Mass.  After stopping inside during a previous visit in the adoration chapel in the lower level, I was glad to attend Mass in the main sanctuary and admire the space.

The altar

I remarked to the lector, who sat behind me, that it looks like fun to emerge from the curtain onto the ambo.

Exterior of Holy Ghost Parish

Many were attired in a way that indicated they were headed to the Rockies-Royals game scheduled for after the conclusion of Mass, and I set my sights on heading to Coors Field after Mass.  Once inside the stadium, I met up with Cynthia, Mark, and John.  I got myself a pulled pork sandwich at a restaurant before we got to our seats.  I had an enjoyable time watching the game, admiring the sunset, and watching the entertainment in between plays.  

The display board

Coors Field

A kabob with alternating banana pieces and strawberries drizzled in white and milk chocolate

After the Royals got ahead toward the beginning, the Rockies won!  


Mark photographed me with the special flag given to fans at this game as we await the finale of the evening.

After the game, there was a special drone show to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of Colorado, with images evoking Colorado's history and mountainous spirit--please see the four photos below--and even had a soundtrack that included John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High" song.





When it concluded, I walked with the others to Union Station to board the RTD train.  

Union Station is lit up in Colorado colors.

When we returned to the Grubbs home, I finished teh day by serenading them with all four verses of "America the Beautiful" on the piano before we all went to bed as the clock reached midnight.

The next morning, Sunday, August 2, I was up shortly after 7 AM.  Following breakfast, Cynthia took me to the Aden home, where I met John and Laura.  The three of us went to 10:30 Mass at Assumption Parish, my Great Aunt Carmen's longtime parish.

Laura and John talk with Father Nick, the pastor, before Mass starts outside the entrance of Assumption Parish.

Next, we went to Jim's Burger Haven to get lunch.  I got a burger with fries and an orange float.

Jim's Burger Haven

My lunch back at the Aden home


We had lunch back at the Aden House.  Once I finished, Doug took me to the Pecos Junction station and I headed downtown for sightseeing. I rode the G Line to Union Station and then went along 16th Street and shortly before 2 PM, I was at the Historic Clock Tower.  

Exterior of the clock tower building along 16th Street

It quickly became one of my favorite attractions in Denver.  About 20 stories up, there were great views of the downtown area and beyond to places like Mile High Stadium, and, of course, wonderful views of the mountains.  The structure was once part of the Daniels and Fisher department store, and is the remaining part of that store building.

This view looks west toward the Rockies. Toward the left is Mile High Stadium.  Toward the right is Ball Arena.

The clock

This view looks toward the south and east.  To the far left in the photo is the golden dome of the Colorado State Capitol.


Inside the observation area of the clock tower.

Looking toward the north, this view shows the train tracks heading northward from Union Station.


I finished there a little bit after 3 PM, and then went to see a variety of other sites, including the Big Bear at the Convention Center and the Liberty Bell in the Civic Center Park before I went inside the Denver Central Library to look around and cool off.  

As I remember, a group was posing for photos by the bear, and I asked one of them to photograph me.

Here's another view of the bear.


Someone walking through the park photographed me by the Liberty Bell replica.


Above and below are views inside the lobby area of the Denver Central Public Library.  I liked seeing the images of the train (above) and the mountains (below) in the artwork.


Then I went inside the Cathedral for a few minutes of prayer before heading back to Union Station and then Arvada.

After a delay with track equipment, likely due to the heat, I was back in Arvada by 7 PM.  For dinner, we had Swedish meatballs.  Following dinner, we relaxed. I also went over to the nearby Dutch Bros. to continue working my way through their menu.

A delicious dinner indeed


The sunset from the Grubbs Home in Arvada

The following morning, Monday, August 3, after breakfast featuring blueberry pancakes, I was at the Arvada Ridge Station around 8:30.  I rode the train downtown, and then boarded the MallRide Bus.  After riding a few blocks, I exited and walked a short distance to the US Mint for the 9:45 tour.

After passing the security checkpoint, we had the chance to browse some exhibit displays. Then a guide--I think her name was Shannon-led our tour group.  We walked in an upper level and could look down through windows at the machines that produce the coins while hearing about the process.  Some machines were actively producing coins, as many as 12 per second.  The tour finished in the main entrance, which had some elegant architectural features.


After offering to photograph a family foursome, one of the parents photographed me at Colfax entrance of the US Mint.

Above is a view of the US Mint.

Near the visitor entrance of the US Mint.

Once the tour ended, I browsed the gift shop, and then walked in the nearby area, all the way to Cherry Creek.  Then I boarded a bus and rode it to the Cathedral, where I attended 12:10 Mass.  

Following Mass, I went to the State Capitol to participate in a guided tour.  I learned interesting details, like the colors of the legislative chambers correspond to the colors of the chambers in the British Parliament building.

Colorado State House Chamber

Colorado State Senate Chamber

From what I remember this tapestry showcases women in Colorado history.

On top is Governor John Routt.

From what I remember, this stained glass window in the Senate chamber shows  Governor Routt.


When I finished with the tour right before 2 PM, I lingered around the capitol and grounds for a few more minutes.  I saw a family there that was part of same mint tour group earlier in the day.

On my way out, I stopped to photograph a family on the step with noting the elevation of one mile above sea level, and then one of the parents photographed me on that step--please see photo below.





View of the State Capitol from the 16th Street Mall

I walked toward the Civic Center and found lunch at a Mediterranean place--please see photo below of my pita sandwich.

Then I got on the MallRide Bus and rode it to Union Station. From there, I returned to Arvada on the G-Line.

Upon returning to the Grubbs home, I spent some time getting my luggage packed and taking it easy.  For dinner, we had spaghetti with tomato sauce and sausage.

Salad with stromboli

Spaghetti, tomato sauce, and sausage

A little bit after 6 PM, Cynthia took me to the Arvada Ridge station and we bid farewell.  

Another great view of the mountains as I wait for the train to arrive, with its lights already visible.

I rode the train to Union Station.  I waited in and around the station for over an hour for the train, which arrived around 8 PM.  

The arrival of the Amtrak train #6, the eastbound California Zephyr.


As I boarded, I was delighted to see the same car attendant who I saw on the westbound journey.  It was on the way at 8:45 PM.  I settled in to some music and the nighttime scenes outside the window as the train headed northeast out of the Denver Metro Area into the High Plains of Eastern Colorado.

The next morning, Tuesday, August 4, I woke up around 6 AM with enough time to step off the train at Omaha for a few seconds before the journey eastward.  When the train began moving, I drank another Kool-Aid.  About half an hour later, the train crossed the Missouri River and entered Iowa.  It was a lovely, sunny day traveling through the fields of Iowa.  While traveling through western Iowa, I had breakfast, which included a bagel I bought from the cafe car--please see photo below.


I enjoyed stepping off at Ottumwa--please see photo below.  


About 1 1/2 hours later, the train reached Burlington and then crossed the Mississippi River into Illinois, which I recorded in this video.



On the platform at Galesburg, looking eastward

After taking a walk off the train at Galesburg, I went to the lounge car to enjoy the scenery and the company of fellow passengers.  


I listened to a podcast on railroading, and as the train entered Chicagoland, I watched the livestream of Supreme Knight Patrick Kelly's address at the Annual Supreme Convention, notably happening in the Denver area.  The cafe car attendant, whose name I believe was Deborah, got on the PA system to share a little railroad song with us to celebrate the end of her final ride as an Amtrak employee before retiring.  I applauded her.  Shortly before 4 PM, the train arrived at Chicago Union Station. 

The arrival of the California Zephyr train #6 is on the top of the list in the upper left quadrant.

Before returning to Oak Park, I walked a few gates over to board a Metra train to Berwyn and then attended 5:15 Mass at St. Leonard.

Traveling to Colorado has brought me many great experiences, and it's largely becuase of my wonderful relatives who live in and around Denver.  My Great Aunt Carmen's motto is "Party, party, party", and her daughters and sons have kept up that celebratory spirit.  It felt so fitting to be in Colorado to celebrate this major milestone for a state that I feel personally connected to, and to also reconnect with the other parts of Colorado that make it special.  

Being from a relatively flat area of the USA, the sight of the Rocky Mountains is always inspiring, including in the Denver Metro Area, when I look to the west and see the Rockies rise up in the distance.  Colorado is certainly the quintessential mountain state of the USA, and that's part of what I appreciate about it so much.

The organizers of the Colorado 150th celebration connected it with the 250th Anniversary of the Independence of the USA.  When Colorado became the Centennial State 100 years after Independence, it was a significant marker for the advance of US history.  It was great to see how the state showcased its history and its magnificent spirit in the festivities I participated in.  I was fascinated by the reenactor who portrayed Governor John Routt as he read the statehood proclamation.  And the drone show was a fantastic display of Colorado, and capped off an enjoyable evening.  I also think about the other unique features in Denver I got to see, like the Big Bear statue at the Convention Center, the Historic Clock Tower, and the US Mint.  And going on a guided tour of the Colorado State Capitol was another opportunity to learn about aspects of Colorado, its land, its people, and its history.

Going by train was a way to experience the westward progression of the country's history that led to Colorado's statehood and to marvel at the landscape as the plains gradually rise in elevation and then reach the mile-high point of elevation in Denver.  I also appreciated the opportunity to connect with fellow passengers and even the train crew, since the car attendants were the same on my westbound and eastbound journeys.  For many reasons, riding Amtrak, especially in 2026, has made me proud to be a citizen of the USA.

Connecting with the people onboard sets the tone for my visits to Colorado as a way to connect with the people of my family there, particularly for this milestone celebration.  I offer them a big congratulations on the 150th Anniversary of Colorado's statehood.

I encounter a different perspective in Colorado, especially when I think about how mountaintops are often places of divine encounters in the Bible.  Two places I think of regarding divine encounters in Colorado are Mile High Stadium, a previous version of which was the site for a World Youth Day 1993 ceremony, and I was glad to get a view of the stadium when I went up in the Historic Clock Tower.  I am also inspired when I go inside the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception because I strongly feel a representation of Heaven.  

Going to Colorado is a chance to go up high in elevation and be uplifted by the amazing mountain vistas and in the abundance of love I experience with my family there.  Far beyond 2026, there will be much in Colorado for me to celebrate that will continue to inspire me.

So in the words of my Great Aunt Carmen, let the "Party, party, party" continue!


Here I am posing at the dome level of the Colorado State Capitol on Colorado Day, August 1, with the Cathedral of Immaculate Conception appearing behind me, photographed by a fellow visitor.

Here I am posing on the Historic Clock Tower with Mile High Stadium off in the distance, near the center of this photo, taken by a fellow visitor.


No comments:

Post a Comment