Friday, August 30, 2013

A Force Beyond us...

This week, Americans marked 50 years since the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, at which Rev. King gave a speech in which he talked about his dream.  That one speech has certainly had a lasting affect on the United States, as I can remember learning about it early on in elementary school, and Valparaiso University holds many festivities for M.L. King Day every year in January.  It has pushed us on to make a better life for all people in this country a reality, even today, when work remains to be completed.  (I learned a lot about what led up the March, and other things that happened at it, beyond Dr. King's speech

In light of the anniversary of this March and the speech, I think about to something that happened 130 years before it, across an ocean, and the man behind it.  In August 1833, the British Parliament banned slavery in their entire empire.  This came in wave of activity to reform British society, which had led to the abolition of the slave trade in 1807, an effort spearheaded in the British parliament by William Wilberforce, whose birthday is August 24.  He is one of a few individuals I consider a saint.  He worked tirelessly to end an evil against human beings.  His eloquent story is told in the movie Amazing Grace, which is one of my favorites.

His fierce advocacy to end slavery at a time when the vast majority of people considered it completely acceptable was clearly driven by a power great than himself.  I am convinced his faith in God, and a belief in Jesus Christ through the Gospel, led him to see slavery for what it is, and drove him to bring an end to it.

I feel that same faith has the power to rid the world of present-day evils, and is a mighty force in the current debates on moral issues.  (As I watched the movie on Mr. Wilberforce's birthday, I couldn't help but see so many parallels between the debate over slavery back then, and today's debates over issues like abortion and gay marriage, among others.)  Certainly, we as humans have an innate desire to cease what is wrong in the world and change it for good.  Yet I am convinced the power that comes from having faith in God takes us higher than we can muster in our own strength, because God powerfully changes lives.  And ultimately, He will be victorious over all evil at the end of the age, which is something that drove Dr. King in his nonviolent protests.  Even Rosa Parks, a woman I greatly admire, was a dedicated Christian, whose values drove her in her efforts in the Civil Rights movement, as I found out in World magazine piece published shortly after her passing.

So just like Dr. King and William Wilberforce, and all other crusaders, I go forth in this faith to make an impact in the world as I live for my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment