Sunday, February 26, 2017

Incredible Stories, 10 Years Later

Ten years ago this month, the stories of two extraordinary individuals made their debut on screen.

The first was that of Dr. Percy Julian in the documentary "Forgotten Genius", produced by the PBS science program NOVA, which aired on February 6, 2007.  A week before, on January 30, a special public program was held at Percy Julian Middle School in Oak Park in recognition of its forthcoming debut.  Many people close to Dr. Julian offered remarks, including his daughter Faith, who still lives in the Oak Park home that she grew up in with her family.  Then-Oak Park Village President David Pope read an official proclamation designating February 6 as Percy and Anna Julian Day in Oak Park.  The documentary put Oak Park in the spotlight, as it mentioned this village by name in the first minute.

Later, on February 23, the movie Amazing Grace made its debut in U.S. theaters.  It tells the story of William Wilberforce, a member of the British Parliament, who led a campaign in Parliament to outlaw the slave trade in the British Empire.  The second weekend of its theater run, my Dad, brother, and I joined my Abuela in seeing it at the Village Crossing Theater in Skokie.  It is one of my favorite movies, so much so that I watch it, at minimum, once a year, usually around William Wilberforce's birthday on August 24, but I'll likely end up doing it more than once this year.

I have gravitated toward this movie because of the setting in British society of the late 18th Century/early 19th Century, which in some ways for me evokes the historical context of the American Revolution, when the United States was born, which is mentioned in the movie.  Indeed, there's something so classy about the historical dress and the demeanor of the characters, like in the scenes in Parliament, and their witty remarks in conversations.  The movie also sheds much light on the reality of slavery, like the scene where the Duke of Clarence offers his slave to William Wilberforce as payment in a game, and also through the experience of Olaudah Equiano.  It was the references to slavery that gave me plenty of ideas for an assignment for World History class, at which time the focus of our studies was on slavery in the 18th Century Transatlantic World.  And I felt even more of a personal connection when my brother, during a trip to London a few years ago, went to the Priory Church of St. Bartholomew the Great, where the scenes with John Newton were filmed.

Both of these stories focus on individuals who overcame great odds in their efforts to make a better world for people, especially from people who stood in their way and wanted to prevent their efforts from being fruitful.

Thinking back to that time in my life in 2007, I realize that both these stories on screen offered me great encouragement.  While my high school years as a whole were a rather difficult time in my life, that Spring 2007 semester was particularly stressful because of all the anxiety I faced being in Driver's Education class.

In the midst of my great struggles, I looked at these individuals who faced situations of great despair.  I found solace that I could overcome my dire circumstances and achieve the goal of making it successfully through my academic challenges, and Driver's Education--and then on to the ultimate goal of being a safe driver.

I can remember feeling so stressed about having so much to do that first weekend of March, feeling especially pressured to fit in time to go with Dad out to practice my driving.  Taking a good chunk of time out of that Saturday, March 3, to go see the movie was a welcome break--and even a significant delay on the Blue Line hardly bothered me, especially since I could enjoy some pleasure reading.

Going to the public program at Julian Middle School offered me just as welcome a break from the loads of schoolwork I had to do that evening of January 30, and the chance to reconnect with Julian by attending the special public program there.  Being back there reminded me a blissful time in my life that so positively impacted me in shaping me to be the person I am today.  It also helped me to become more acquainted with the legacy of Dr. Julian, which Julian Middle School is part of, and how his story played a major role in making Oak Park, my beloved village, what it is today.  Indeed, I can remember feeling such excitement about the documentary, and all that day at school, I carried a promotional card, while talking it up.  I even burst out in excitement when the documentary was mentioned in the morning announcements, especially when Julian Middle School was mentioned.

I watched both of these programs this month in honor of the 10-year anniversary.  The amazing thing about "Forgotten Genius" is how many dimensions it presents of Dr. Julian's story.  It's an incredible tour through plant chemistry, which was something relevant to me at the time because I was in chemistry class during my sophomore year of high school.  His story also touched on society in the United States, in how he faced so much discrimination, which dogged every step he sought to take to advance forward in his career, and then in his personal life as he sought to embrace his lofty status as an established scientist when moving to Oak Park.  He went through quite a journey in life, especially in seeking to get his PhD., which took him all the way to Europe, where he thrived in a society that was amazed by the presence of an African-American.

As for Amazing Grace, every time I watch it, I seem to pick up on some small detail in a new light--sentiments I feel my Mom would agree with, who enjoys watching it as much as I do, because it's an encouragement for her.  I know it wasn't until after a few views that I understand the flow of the story with the two flashbacks in the movie, as well as the law about the use of neutral flags.

While watching it recently, I thought about the parallels between the struggles of those advocating for an end to the British slave trade, and the movements today to defend the unborn and marriage as a union between one man and one woman.  Back then, people who had interests supported by slavery spoke maliciously of those working to end the slave trade, and even spread rumors about them.  It's very much like organizations such as Planned Parenthood that seek defend their profit margins by painting pro-life groups in a negative light.  Indeed, there was an effort to refer to the March for Life as the "March of Lies".

William Wilberforce endured such great strains from opponents while facing his own personal struggles, especially his disease, displayed so strongly in those scenes in the movie when he thrashes about in immense pain, which, as he tells Barbara, started at the same time he launched his campaign in parliament.  Those instances evoke what St. Paul writes about in Romans 8 as labor pains that Creation is undergoing as it awaits God's redemption.  William Wilberforce sure was going through immense pains while seeking to abolish the slave trade and live faithfully for God.  He even had to wrestle how he would spend his life glorifying God, whether as a minister or in politics, receiving great encouragement from his old pastor, John Newton.  He received further encouragement at a low point from Barbara, who inspired him to take up the fight again, just as night gives way to the dawning of a new day.

The most eloquent message of Amazing Grace is about the power of faith:  As evidenced by the story of John Newton, alluded to in the movie, faith is God's amazing supernatural work that transforms us so that we then transform the world around us.  It's that power of faith that makes us successful in movements to effect change so that all people created equal by God may live the good life that He desires for us.  It's surely faith that really makes the difference.  So while circumstances in my life challenged me greatly, this movie reminded me of the impact faith can have, and helped stir in me a sense of passion for faith, which inspires us to do the work by which we glorify God.

No comments:

Post a Comment