Friday, June 4, 2021

How Jim Beautified the Church on Earth

Over the past few weeks, Ascension Church has had extra decorations in place to celebrate Easter Season, which a group of volunteers helped place on Holy Saturday morning as part of an annual custom.

Similar efforts happen annually each year right before Advent starts and in the days leading to the Feast of the Nativity.

For many years, these decorating efforts were spearheaded by Jim Wojcik, a dedicated member of the Ascension Parish community.  I think of him not only because of the recent decorations in Church, but also because today, June 4, is his birthday.

Jim volunteered in many ways at Ascension, including as the head of the Art and Environment Committee.  Then, in 2014, he started working on staff in the parish office while retaining his duties with liturgy and decorations.

A few months ago, he took leave of this life to enter into the fullness of the Church in Heaven.  Yet as I look at the decorations in Chruch, I still think of him and how he had such a special touch for making our beautiful church look so splendid in celebration of the special liturgical seasons.

He would spend a good deal of time arranging the poinsettias for Christmas Season and the Easter lilies for Easter Season so they looked just right.

The liturgical seasons are one major reason I love being Roman Catholic. So I find great meaning in assisting with the decoration efforts, so that I can enter more fully into the liturgical life of the Chruch as we cycle through the seasons, and set the tone to help others do the same.

And so I gladly went up to Jim many years ago when I was a teen and asked Jim about helping with the Art and Environment Committee/

Father Hurlbert, recent pastor of Ascension, remarked in eulogizing Jim that he was a rather private person, not even disclosing many details about the cancer that took him to the end of his life.  But because I worked so closely with Jim for decorating efforts and other liturgical functions, I was blessed that I got to know him so well. 

I could see that Jim was such a dedicated member of the parish community, and he really loved being at Church.  He once remarked something to the effect of how he felt like he had gotten his dream job when he was hired to work at Ascension, which came after many years of employment at the University of Chicago.

He spent several hours at church each weekend, especially on Sunday mornings, arriving early to help get set up for the 7:30 Mass and staying until after the 11 AM Mass.  When it came to special liturgies, like important religious holidays and also Confirmation Masses, he was there to oversee the many extra details involved and to ensure everything ran smoothly.  At one point, he trained me and some other parishioners to serve as a thurifer during Masses at particular times of the year.

He also had a deep grasp of theology, and embraced the deeper meaning behind the days throughout the liturgical calendar, so we saw eye to eye as such.

I also recall his bravery the one time I went up with him and some others into the dome to hang up a large green banner at the conclusion of Easter Season.  In subsequent years, he stayed down below and sent others up, including me--I liked the thrill of it anyway.

It's clear that even those who never had the chance to interact with Jim benefitted from the fruits of his labors.

Jim was so kind to recognize my efforts, offering me a card and a small gift when I came to help with decorating efforts.  He also affirmed me in other ways, like offering compliments to how I served as a lector or in other roles.

I'm sure that when Jim left this life, he went into the very presence of God, who told him, "Well done, good and faithful servant.  Come, share your Master's happiness".  Indeed, he gave so much to edify the church on earth, and I'm sure he is fully enjoying participation in the Church in Heaven right now.

I'm sure he's experiencing the reality of the famous Rublev Trinity icon, taking his place at the table with the Three Persons of the Godhead--one of several icons put out throughout the course of the year for Masses, and also for Taize prayer services.

Happy Birthday Jim! Thank you for all you did for Ascension.

Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment