Sunday, May 8, 2022

Lifelong Learning: at 6 Years

The circle of life returns me to partying like it's 2016 all over again, and specifically back to Sunday, May 8, 2016, when I graduated with my MLIS degree from Dominican University.

As I mark this milestone, on the same day of the week as 6 years ago, I think back to another day 25 years ago when I had an incredibly important experience.

My Kindergarten class, with Ms. Gullo as the teacher, went on a field trip from Irving School to the Maze Branch of the Oak Park Public Library, our fine library on the south side of Oak Park.  During that field trip, I got my very first library card, which opened up whole new worlds to me, not to mention all the fun, like they sing on Arthur.

While I'm sure I had been to the library before, as Carolyn remembers it when I was a shy child sticking close to Mom, getting that library card connected me to an important institution that contributed so much to my growth.  Indeed, the Maze Branch in particular is one of those special places in Oak Park that defined me.  It is a place that I was drawn to visit often, and means so much to me.

That first field trip there helped me see the library as a wonderful place, and laid a foundation for me to enjoy reading, and embrace library visits to seek materials there.

I enjoyed going to Maze, as it was a generally easy walk from where I grew up, and continues to be close to home.  It was a wonderful time going there to pick out books to read, and even videos to watch, too.  Summertime was especially fun when I participated in the children's summer reading program.  I would go there once a week to track my progress, and see the minutes I read accumulate, as I presented a sheet to the teen volunteers with additional marks noting how much more I had read during the past week.  After getting my progress checked in, and then getting more books, I'd walk out the door with my face in a book, and read while walking home.  Upon arriving home, I would remove my shoes and head to a chair in the living room, with my face still in the book all the while.

When I aged out of the program as a participant, I went a step further and volunteered for the program, starting after 6th grade, which was one of the most enjoyable summer involvements I had during my teen years.  For the final summer I did it, in 2008, I took it even further by assisting with both the children's summer reading program and working with a group of teens to tend to the space in Maze, like organizing bookshelves and creating displays.  Before that summer started, I attended an orientation for teen volunteers that helped acquaint me further with what it means to be part of a library, and it gave me great insights that made me more excited to participate.

Years later, after I discerned attending graduate school for my MLIS, I had the great opportunity to work at the main Oak Park Public Library, building upon all my past experiences to enhance service to my community.  I reconnected with Sharon Grimm, who helped facilitate that volunteer orientation back when I was in high school.  On one memorable day, she introduced me to a teen volunteer and noted how I started as a volunteer like him and was now employed.  I remain grateful for the time I spent at the Oak Park Public Library, which deeply shaped me in my profession.

It's amazing to think of the incredible journey that started on that field trip to Maze Library 25 years ago.  I've maintained a lifelong appreciation for libraries, fully aware of how they have shaped me, and the communities at large.

And my appreciation for libraries connects with one of the ALA core principles of librarianship: lifelong learning.

Indeed, on my way out of the graduation ceremony 6 years ago today, someone on the side assisting with the flow cheered for us saying, "Hooray! No more school!"  But then I turned to him and said, "But the learning continues!"

So I tell my students at the end of the RE year, just as I did a couple of weeks ago while wearing the same gown and MLIS hood from that ceremony:  There is so much out there to learn, plenty to fill a lifetime.  And ultimately, we learn that we may use knowledge for higher purposes.  

Indeed, I built upon the wonderful experience of that field trip 25 years ago to eventually have a career in which I do my part to help libraries serve communities.

I also think about the final verses in the Gospel according to St. John chapter 20, in which it says that what is written is meant to help the audience believe that Jesus is the Messiah, and to have life through His Name.

As I told my students a couple of weeks ago when we concluded our time together, my hope is that they will keep learning about faith, guided by the Holy Spirit, so that they will grow in relationship with God, and so be a blessing in the world.  And that is the power of learning, to put into action we gain to extend the impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment