Sunday, May 22, 2022

Paschal Mystery in 2022

The Love God showed the world through the Paschal Mystery is so deep and mysterious, yet we know its real effects which transform us powerfully.

Since the Death and Resurrection of Christ are central events in the Christian faith, we can draw so much meaning from commemorating them each year, as much as we experience a taste of those events each week when we gather for Mass on Sunday.

Rather than just remembering these events of the past, we seek to be transformed through the liturgies, and so enter more deeply into the Paschal Mystery.

Lent is truly a blessed season that helps us shift focus from ourselves to God.  For me, Lent this year was caught up in lots of activity in my usual life, and then having a different focus while on vacation in the Washington, D.C., Metro Area, where I spent time visiting various churches and embracing the opportunities for prayer at them.

As Holy Week neared, I knew there was great potential for how I could use this year's liturgies to enter more deeply into the Paschal Mystery.

Mass on Palm Sunday had such a triumphant tone at the start as we recall how the crowds acclaimed Jesus, even though they turned against Him later in the week.  Yet through it all, as people of faith, we recognize Jesus is our Savior, and He demonstrated it through His Passion.

The Crucifix adorned for Palm Sunday

On Tuesday of that week, I led a group of Religious Education students from the middle school classes in praying the Stations of the Cross. Desiring to embrace the last few days of Lent, I sought to prepare myself spiritually ahead of time by embracing the opportunity of this prayer to enter more deeply into the Paschal Mystery.  We concluded toward the East Avenue entrance of Church, and we all made a reverent gesture toward the Cross, just like during veneration of the Cross during the Cross Friday liturgy.  And after our time of prayer that Tuesday evening concluded, I felt my experience really led me into the Mystery, just as I hoped it did for the students with the reflections we used for our prayer.

The next evening, on Wednesday, I was back at Church for Evening Prayer, which was a mystical, very spiritual experience I embraced most weeks of Lent.  I felt the same way as I watched the livestream of the Sunday Vespers Liturgy at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception almost every week, and attended in-person for Laetare Sunday.

And the following evening, I was at Church once again for Maundy Thursday Mass.  The opening hymn was a repeat of last year's different hymn, yet still helped establish a triumphant tone, for all that we celebrate during the Triduum leads us to recognize Christ as our Savior.

This Mass hearkens back to our Jewish roots, as we celebrate the New Passover in which Christ puts His blood on His people to free us from sin.  Becoming familiar with Jewish practice through getting to know Jews in middle school helped me appreciate the practice of my Christian Roman Catholic faith then, and still informs it now.

This liturgy is a great opportunity for us to connect the service we do for others with the example Christ gave in offering Himself for us, and the commentary He made through the washing of His disciples' feet at the supper, before instituting the Eucharist.  We celebrate the Eucharist at each Mass throughout the year, and this evening is special because we return to the heart of its institution by Christ.  I thought so much about the calling I feel to teach RE and to give of myself by accompanying my students in their walk to encounter God and grow in relationship with Him.

And, as typical, the solemn procession of the Body of Christ to the side altar is a moving, powerful, and profound experience that touches me deeply.  The solemnity of the procession is enhanced by the eloquent lyrics of "Pange Lingua", which hail Christ as our Savior for giving of Himself in dying for us, and is truly worthy of our unceasing adoration.  There's something profound about lingering in the quiet stillness of the Church during the time of adoration following the conclusion of Mass.

The Marian side altar adorned with the side tabernacle for adoration


Cross Friday always has a heavy feel to it, but it's worth it to face the heaviness of Christ's death, because it's part of the story that leads to the Resurrection.  I was back at Ascension for the evening liturgy, which begins and ends in quiet.  Even the lighting is much different inside church.

The Gospel reading proclaimed is the Passion Narrative according to St. John.  That Gospel's theology focuses on Christ's glorious nature, and how He was fully committed to taking up His Cross.  And like throughout the rest of the Triduum, Cross Friday is an opportunity for us to ponder how we can unite our sufferings to Christ's sufferings, that His redemptive power may work in us.  That idea is what adds such a reverent touch to the solemn intercessions, as we enter more deeply into the movements of standing and kneeling, with lengthier prayers for the world and its people.  Then, with much reverence, I approached to venerate the Cross, in a similar mindset from when I led Stations of the Cross prayer on Holy Tuesday.  We venerate the Cross acknowledging the death of our Savior, but also aware that it has power because of the Resurrection.

The Cross that is a fixture in the back of Chruch during Lent and Easter Seasons is at the altar, having been placed there for Veneration.

I was back at Ascension the following morning at 8:30 for Holy Saturday Morning Prayer.  The one song that I find so meaningful is sung at this prayer time, as it acknowledges Christ in the tomb, and looking ahead to His glorious Resurrection.   We offered up other prayer chants from the psalms, and then gathered around the altar for intercessions, and then laid hands of blessing upon those preparing for initiation that night.

Following the conclusion of Morning Prayer, I stayed to help decorate the church for Easter Season.  I helped move lots of flowers into place, including the very triumphant-looking Easter lilies, and helped move materials from the Parish Center storage room over to the Church.  I tended to some banners as well.  And I got the cardboard circles onto the small candles.  I also helped arrange mats for those to be baptized.

Here I have completed the task of preparing the small candles. I think Mike Novak took this photo of me.


I also took the time to meet some of those preparing for initiation, including the two Julian 8th graders. I already felt a sense of connection with them as a Julian alumnus, and then, when I got talking with one of them, I realized that one of my RE students is one of her friends at school, and the two of them have talked a lot about their respective religion classes.

Then, at one point, Vicky Tufano, the former Ascension Pastoral Associate, who was there to assist with the Triduum liturgies, asked for my help in moving the Paschal Candle from its stand near the ambo to the font during the baptismal rite at the Holy Saturday Easter Vigil Mass.  She discussed with me what I would do for that part.  It stirred me that I would have this role during the Mass.

Later, after dinner, I got myself suited up, and then headed to Church for the Easter Vigil Mass.  There are so many moments in the Easter Vigil Mass that stir my soul.  I can feel something momentous is going to happen as I gather outside with the congregation around the fire and see the Paschal Candle lit.  It always strikes me how we gather outside as people are passing in cars on East Avenue, and perhaps they sense something special is happening. On this particular evening, I also noted families present who I know from teaching RE.

The Paschal Fire outside Church along East Avenue


The language of the Exultet is so rich, and builds our anticipation for the ritual proclamation of the Resurrection, the culmination of the stories we hear proclaimed in various readings.

Inside Church during the proclamation of the Exultet


The Mass that begins with the light of the fire then gives way to the illumination at the Gloria, building the anticipation.  And then comes the proclamation of the Gospel account of the Resurrection. As usually happens, I got very emotional when I heard David Anderson sing out the stepped Alleluia.  I feel that Alleluia deep within me, aware that as part of the baptized community of faith, the Resurrection is not just a story, but it is real, and its reality lives in me and all of us.

At the Alleluia Acclamation before the Gospel proclamation


And we experience how it is real as we welcome new members to our community through the sacraments of initiation.  As the litany of the saints began, I made my move to the ambo and lifted the Paschal Candle off its stand.  It was definitely on the heavy side, but I steadily moved it to the presider's chair and stood by as the candidates for baptism came to the font.  

When Father Rex pronounced the blessing of the font's water, I walked with the candle to the font and lifted it up to place it in the water.  It was tricky to lift the candle high enough so that I could get it in the font while holding it upright from near the bottom, so that it wouldn't tip while lit, while not necessarily having the ability to move my hands high enough on the candle.  Father Bob, standing nearby, realized it was a little bit of a struggle for me, and instantly moved to help me steady the candle as it went into the font, and helped me keep it steady.  Taking it out was easier, and I had little trouble going back to my spot at the presider's chair while I embraced my upfront view of the baptisms.

Here I am, standing by as I await to move toward the font.  This photo, and the three below, are screenshots from the livestream video, courtesy of Brian Kinyon and Ascension Parish.

Here Father Bob and I lift the Paschal Candle into the baptismal font.

Father Bob and I hold the candle as Father Rex pronounces the blessing on the water.

Here are Father Bob and I around the time I lift the candle out of the font.

I remained in place for when the sponsors lit the white candles from the light of the Paschal Candle.  Shortly thereafter, I moved the candle back to its stand, having completed my role. Even with some of the challenges, I was fully aware that my small part helped the gathered assembly embrace the symbolism in that part.  And from the congregation, I watched the bestowal of Confirmation on the other candidates.

The Mass continued in its high celebratory fashion, especially with the great music.  After I finished serving as Eucharistic minister, I really got into singing "Be Not Afraid", embracing the words as they speak to the joyful reality of the Resurrection that is within us.  I carried the celebratory spirit into the night as I headed home.

The next morning, on Resurrection Sunday, I was back at Church for 11 AM Mass.  The festive, joyful, and celebratory spirit was still present, with the church filled with light shining all around, especially on the splendid flowers and banners adorning the inside.  I proclaimed the first reading, which is from St. Peter's discourse before the gathered assembly at Cornelius's house. St. Peter speaks about the power of God at work through Christ, through His Death and Resurrection, then through the choosing of people to testify to Him, just as we the faithful today are called to testify.  

Here I proclaim the first reading.  This image is taken from the livestream video, courtesy of Brian Kinyon and Ascension Parish.

As is customary, once the communion process is over, we sang "Chris the Lord is Risen", set to a vibrant African tune.  Following Mass, it was great to catch up with a number of people, especially current and former RE students and their families.

I carried the celebratory spirit into lots of baking later in the day as I desired to share some treats with my RE students later that week in class to tap into the joyful spirit of the Easter Season, and then into our family dinner.

One idea I keep pondering throughout this Easter Season is the newness of Life we have in Christ.  We spent Lent seeking to turn from ourselves and grow closer to God.  Now, in Easter Season, we are called to live out that relationship with God, living differently, because Christ is alive, and He lives in us.  In a world that offers little reason for hope, we have the joyful reality of hope deep within us, and so we rejoice.  We are truly an Easter people, and "Alleluia" is our song.

Above and below are photos of the Ascension Church interior on Resurrection Sunday, following 11 AM Mass.


Here is our family's feast, fit for a glorious day.  Below is my plate, with ham, sweet potato, rice, and salad.


Here are the upside down peach cakes I made for my class, and one for us to enjoy at Resurrection Sunday dinner.

You can see me in the livestream video from the Holy Saturday Easter Vigil Mass around the 1:40:00 mark.

You can see me as the lector on Resurrection Sunday morning in the livestream video, around the 25:00 mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment