Thursday, September 28, 2023

Dear 1036: Unwinding and the Home Comforts

Dear 1036 Clarence,

I recall that 10 years ago this day, I volunteered to help with the Confirmation retreat for Ascension Parish's class of 2013.  It was a last-minute opportunity that arose just days prior.  I embraced the opportunity in the same spirit that I had decided to become a catechist, as I rode a wave of a vibrant faith life as I transitioned out of college.

The first part of the retreat day was at Ascension and then we went to the Carmelite Spiritual Center in Darien, IL, before returning to Ascension for 5 PM Mass.

When I came home after Mass, Dad was sitting at the computer in the dining room, and he immediately asked me about the retreat time.  I took a few minutes to debrief with him about what I had experienced.

Another memory I have of evenings at home is pertinent this month as another season of Wheel of Fortune began.  The show has aired on ABC 7 Chicago at 6:30.  On many evenings, going way back to my elementary school days, after we finished dinner, we'd go to the TV and turn on Wheel of Fortune. Sometimes, we'd get to the TV as it started.  Other times, we'd turn it on as it was in progress.

It was fun to sit before the TV as a family and make guesses about the puzzles, and watch the excitement of those who successfully solved them and the prizes they got.

This month also marks 21 years since the debut of Liberty's Kids, a show I watched regularly on Fridays after school when I was in 6th grade at Julian.  I thought about that show on September 17, US Constitution Signing Day.

And on the subject of middle school, one year ago this month, in my longtime bedroom, I participated in an OPRF History Museum presentation, sharing my experiences as part of the first group of 6th graders to attend the Oak Park middle schools.

Indeed, in the comfort of home, I have these and other memories of ways that I could consider and reflect on the world at large.

With gladness and gratitude, I declare once again that you shall not fade into the background but remain ever in my heart.

Ever connected:
All my relations.

With joy,

God's blessings,
Paul

1 comment: