Friday, September 8, 2023

Portrait of an 8th Grade Graduate

Back in June, I watched the Julian Middle School 8th grade graduation ceremony.  As an alumnus, I was glad to welcome this new group of alumni, which included several students I know from my RE/Confirmation program involvement at Church.

Dr. Usma Shah, the District 97 superintendent, mentioned a project at hand to envision a portrait of an 8th grade graduate from District 97.

That got me thinking about what shaped me most when I graduated 8th grade.  Many of the factors were while I was in middle school.  I have written often about how much those three years impacted my life, and for good reason: They helped me more fully understand and appreciate who I am as a person, particularly who I am as part of the Church and as a citizen of the USA.

With a greater awareness and appreciation, I then sensed a calling to use who I am to edify others, enhance society, and help make the world a better place by making a positive impact, especially in my sphere of influence.

Middle school gave me the chance to study the history of the USA, which sparked in me an interest to learn even more beyond what was presented in the classrooms.  With a greater appreciation of the history, I then took up my part in enhancing the USA, including involvement in civic matters, such as contacting government officials about my views.  Later on in life, that led me to opportunities like serving as an election judge.

Because I came to embrace my faith more deeply and my place in the Church, I grew abundantly in my relationship with God, which enhanced me as a person.  At this vantage point of my life, I see a direct link between my middle school years and serving as a catechist.

I hope 8th graders graduate from District 97 with a greater awareness and appreciation of themselves and their place in our society and do their part to give of themselves in edifying it to help make the world a better place.  May they be proud to be citizens of the USA, glad for the freedoms of this country, and work to continue building on the foundation of those noble principles that were at the heart of this country's beginning.  And may they grow in strong virtues with a willingness to serve as a means of fully being the humans they have been created to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment