Sunday, September 22, 2024

11 Years Full of Grace

Once a year in September, the focus turns on people who serve in catechetical roles on Catechetical Sunday as a new year of religious education begins.  At 10:30 Mass this morning at Ascension Church, when Father Rex called those in the RE ministry to come forward, I approached the altar.  I had so much to reflect on over the course of teaching for 11 years and at the beginning part of my 12th year.  I started my first class on Tuesday, September 10, 2013.  I brought it full circle when I started this year on Tuesday, September 10, 2024.

I have written so much about being part of Religious Education.  When I was fresh out of college 11 years, figuring out how to live my life after college, I responded to a prompting about RE, thinking it would be a good thing to do.

As I got involved, it became so much more.  It has been an experience that has affirmed me and blessed me beyond measure.

Teaching RE has been a way to reconnect with my middle school experience and see what's become of the middle schools in Oak Park, particularly my alma mater Julian.  I'm so delighted that I can get to know many Julian students in class.

I've worked with some great content, like the Chosen curriculum that featured some of the best Roman Catholic personalities, including Chris Stefanick and Father Mike Schmitz.

It's amazing to see how I'm able to connect with my students.  In some years, the sense of connection has occurred so powerfully in the first class.  5 years ago, I felt so uplifted as I walked home, after having spent all day at work anticipating that first class.  One memory I have is when I was up in front of my students and one of them was nonstop smiling.  About a week and a half later, I got an email from her mom complimenting me.

Even when the pandemic shifted our class onto Zoom, it was remarkable how well it worked.  One aspect that I feel enhanced class was when I thought of bringing in guest speakers, some of whom were outside of Chicagoland, which could happen seamlessly through Zoom.

When we returned to the classroom after the pandemic, at the end of the first class, when I had the students share what they experienced in class on their exit slips, as I do typically for all classes, one student, wrote, "Mr. Paul is very nice."

I still feel the sense of connection when I look at the cards I've gotten from students and their families, which I keep in a drawer.  It really takes appreciation to a whole new depth when they take the time to express their appreciation.  There are also great gifts I have.  Every time I turn on the car, I'm reminded of one family, who got me a "Rubio" keychain when they were in Spain.  Another student got me a wonderful large-sized Illinois mug that I use all the time at breakfast for oatmeal or cereal.  And over the years, I've been able to build relationships with families by teaching multiple children in those families.

Teaching RE has been a way for me to live out the flourishing of faith I experienced in middle school, and also what I experienced in college, especially as part of St. Teresa's.  I've taken many a cue from Father Kevin, who eagerly energized us college students with P-A-R-T-Y! Party Hard with Jesus Christ!  It was a sort of routine he developed from his days as a cheerleading coach.  Along the way, I've channeled my other faith experiences in class with what I share in class, including World Youth Day, for which I gave presentations for combined groups of grades 6-8.  Starting this year by sharing about the National Eucharistic Congress was energizing.

Once Mass ended today, the dad of two former students approached me.  While short on time and on to get his daughter to a softball game, he wanted to take a moment to acknowledge me for my work in my role as catechist.

And when I think of his family, I'm reminded that the most common name, male or female, among my 200+ students is Grace, with 7 students by that name, practically making it statistically significant.  I feel that's by God's design as I reflect on the many graces of teaching Religious Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment