My Great Aunt Carmen Aragon has long been a special person in my life. The love she showed me reflects the close relationship between her and my Grandma Vel.
When she passed away earlier at the beginning of June, I made the 1000-mile journey once again up to the foothills of the Rockies to remember and honor her. I rode Amtrak for this journey, which brought it full circle, since the first time I ever visited Denver, it was onboard the California Zephyr train.
Our family vacation by train looping around the western United States left a big impression on me as a little boy. The final place we stayed was in Denver at the splendid house at 7880 Greenwood Boulevard, where my Great Aunt Carmen lived for over 50 years, sharing many of them with my Great Uncle Leonard.
After that visit in August 1997 came 4 more visits to Denver, during all of which I spent time at my Great Aunt Carmen's house. I always experienced her abundant sense of hospitality, as she opened her home and her heart. On August 14, 2008, I felt a strong sense of excitement as we drove from Steamboard Springs, where we had stayed for a few days, and then went to spend time at her home in Denver before returning to Chicagoland. My excitement reached a pitch when we turned the corner and by her house. She had a great dinner ready for us, featuring enchiladas with ground turkey wrapped in flour tortillas.
In the summer of 2016, I traveled to Colorado and joined a family weekend getaway in the mountain town of Cripple Creek to celebrate her birthday, my first time celebrating her birthday with her. I got there a couple days ahead before we all went to Cripple Creek. I was so glad I had the chance to spend a whole day at Aunt Carmen's house, enjoying her company and experiencing the delight of the place. Later that day, her son John, his wife Charlotte, and their granddaughter Jenesis arrived, and it was great sharing in their company.
She had so much on display in her home, especially family photos, and seeing myself and family foursome, along with Grandma, made me feel so good there, right at home. She also had letter framed on a wall from her son John's commanding officer, in which she congratulated her and Uncle Leonard on their son's achievement when he became a Navy officer.
She enjoyed being around family so much, and we always had a good time when all the family members gathered together. Her children knew how to put on a celebration for her, like the Cripple Creek birthday celebration for her, and then the grand party when she turned 90.
I had enjoyable journeys on the California Zephyr, filled with anticipation of the joy of celebrating her birthday both of those times.
Grateful for wonderful memories, while navigating grief, I boarded the California Zephyr once more on Wednesday, June 24, to head west. Along with my travel luggage, I carried with me 20 packages of El Milagro corn tortillas, which the Aragon relatives enjoy, especially since they aren't available in stores in the Denver Metro Area.
I felt an abundance of love and warmth when I traveled to the Denver Metro Area for Great Aunt Carmen's funeral. After arriving at Denver Union Station, I went to Holy Ghost Parish to pray before the Blessed Sacrament, kept in a temporary chapel space.
Then I rode the G Line to the suburb of Arvada. After detraining, as I walked along the platform toward the exit, I saw my cousin Cynthia with her husband Mark, Sr., by their car, and she was eagerly waving at me.
We went to King Soopers to shop for groceries before going to their home. A little later, I went with Mark to pick up Mom, Dad, and Grandma. Once we were all back at the Grubbs home, we sat around the dining room table for a meal.
Later, we went to the funeral place for the visitation. Unlike other funeral places I've been to, I was so moved by how the design of the place looked like a chapel, and helped bring a strong sense of spirituality to mind as we gathered to honor Aunt Carmen. The pastor of her parish, Father Nick, offered wonderful words of tribute, speaking to her strong sense of hospitality. Then we prayed the rosary.
The next morning, we gathered at Assumption Parish, her longtime home parish. The first time I recall going there was on the Feast of the Assumption itself back in 2008 when we visited Denver. I went there again 3 years ago, on the eve of her 90th birthday. Viewing began at 9 AM. At 10 AM, Bryan, one of her 15 grandchildren, stood before the congregation to offer a speech in tribute to Aunt Carmen, which was collectively written by her 5 children, with some additions from her grandchildren. It was a great tribute to a woman who showed so much love in her long life, with the ever present pozole available in her kitchen, and her constant connection to her sister, my Grandma Vel, and Chicago roots. In all her years, Aunt Carmen never learned to drive a car. Once Brian finished, the Funeral Mass began, and it was meaningful to see the rites of the Church bestowed upon Aunt Carmen.
Following Mass, we gathered at the Wishbone Restaurant in nearby Westminster. I remember that she took our family foursome there for dinner during our 2008 visit. I mentioned this dinner to my cousin Mark, Jr., who said she greatly enjoyed this restaurant. The placemats were fitting for the occasion. Lunch was a good time of visiting.
The visiting continued later over at my cousin Laura's house. I stopped by for a few minutes to say goodbyes before Mark, Sr., and Dad took me over to the Pecos Junction station. I boarded the RTD train to Union Station, where I boarded the Amtrak train back to Chicago.
Unlike the morning I arrived, when it was cloudy, skies were clear for me to enjoy the view of the sunset over the Rockies as the train headed into the High Plains.
Aunt Carmen and my Grandma Vel made this 1000-mile journey so many times over the course of decades to spend long stretches of time visiting and even participating in special events. (Once, Grandma went on that journey by car and brought Buddy, the dog, with her, to spend a winter in Denver with Aunt Carmen, who was such a gracious host to Buddy.)
They would go out on the town, like outings to Navy Pier in Chicago. One time, Aunt Carmen was in town and attended my piano recital. I then went back with Grandma and Aunt Carmen to spend a night with them, and the next day, we all visited the Chicago History Museum. Another time, Dad, Grandma, Aunt Carmen, and I went to visit the Shrine of Christ's Passion in St. John, IN. I also recall Grandma and Aunt Carmen went to Springfield, IL, for a few days.
Aunt Carmen had a way of enjoying life and a few good laughs, too. For these memories, I give thanks for the presence of Aunt Carmen in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment