July is a special time as we celebrate the Independence of the USA each year at the start of the month.
This year 2026 is special as the 250th anniversary of Independence.
For the 225th anniversary 25 years ago in 2001 , I thought it would be great to have a birthday cake to celebrate the USA. I even asked to have candles lit. Then we took it outside on the deck so that I could see the wind, representing the USA, blow out the candles. It didn't happen immediately, and when I wondered aloud about what was taking so long, Dad remarked that the USA was of an advanced age, and it would take more effort at 225 years to blow out the candles.
In my middle school years, I came to more deeply appreciate the story of the founding of the USA. That happened in large part from watching the show Liberty's Kids. The theme song was performed by Kayla and Aaron Carter, who sung it live at the Capitol Fourth Concert on July 4, 2002, in anticipation of the show's debut on Labor Day, September 2, 2002, which was the day before I started middle school. Our family would regularly view the Capitol Fourth concert, and that song was one of my favorite performances.
The following summer, I was at the Dole Branch Library. I discovered a book profiling the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence. I checked it out from the library, and I was so enthralled by the history I learned from it that I decided to buy it. The book was a special addition to my bookshelf, and I still have it to this day.
There's something profound about reconnecting with our roots. And so it is special every month on the 28th day to write these posts and reflect on these wonderful memories about you, Beloved 1036, at the heart of my roots as a person.
And so I declare that you shall not fade into the background, but remain ever in my heart as that dearly beloved place.
At this time of year, when the Winnebago Pow-wow is held, I think of Native American spirituality I learned from my time at St. Augustine Mission, and declare that we are ever connected:
All my relations.
God's blessings,
With joy in the Lord,
Paul
God bless the USA, my home sweet home.
Huzzah for USA from Sea to Shining Sea!
![]() |
| The US flag flying from the porch was always had a special patriotic touch, like on Thanksgiving weekend 2022. |
![]() |
| Here I am posing with the US flag on the porch. |
![]() |
| Here we are, the foursome, on Declaration of Independence Day, July 4, 2000, on the front steps. So far as I recall, Grandma and Grandpa Rubio visited that day and one of them likely took this photo. |



No comments:
Post a Comment