Sunday, January 5, 2014

Gifts--the Magi's and Mine

So yesterday morning, when I checked the mailbox out front, I saw in it that the final gift I ordered had arrived--nearly three weeks after I placed the order, and over a week after the celebration of the Nativity of Christ.  Delightedly, I gave it to Mom, who was just as delighted to receive it from me.

It's appropriate that this happened on Epiphany weekend, when we commemorate the manifestation of Christ to the peoples of all nations, represented by the Gentile Magi, who came to Bethlehem, bearing gifts for the Christ child.

It is a tradition for Father Larry, pastor of Ascension Parish, in his homily on Epiphany weekend, to show some of the gifts he received for the occasion of the Nativity. 

This is a good occasion to think about the gifts I gave and received in the exchanging of gifts on the Nativity holiday, and what they signify.  The gifts the Magi brought to the Christ Child proclaimed who He is:  The gold signified Jesus as King of Kings. The frankincense signified Jesus's divinity, and as Priest of Priests.   And the myrrh symbolized the humanity of Jesus, and the sacrifice He would ultimately make to save all people.

I now use that line of thinking, what the Magi's gifts signify, as a model to reflect on the gifts I gave and received:

Gifts I gave
Gold: I bought my brother Eric an iTunes gift card, that he can enjoy even more music, which is part of his vocation--thereby connecting it with the symbol of the priestly incense, too.  I also bought chocolate and small bags of peanuts for people in my family to enjoy.
Frankincense: I bought Dad a book with reflections for Eucharistic Adoration from the online gift store of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, that he may engage in this form of prayer with Jesus Christ, as he does month after month.
Myrrh: I gave my Abuela a CD of music that had just been released from the St. Augustine Mission.  The proceeds help fund the mission in its work to serve the people on the Winnebago and Omaha Reservations, carrying forth the work of the Gospel to all.  The DVD I got for Mom of the movie Crescendo also helps fund the work Students for Life America does to empower people, especially students in high school and college, in their efforts to support a culture of life.

Gifts I received
Gold: Eric got me a wall decoration that says, "CHICAGO", with stylized lettering containing images of Chicago.  It shall certainly serve as a fine artistic decoration to have up somewhere in my personal space, to show my connection to the city and surrounding area.
Frankincense: I very delightedly received many gifts from some of the students in my Religious Education class, and even the Director of RE, in recognition of my efforts in the program to help guide the youths into deeper relationship with God.
Myrrh: I received a lot of nice clothes, including shirts, pants, and socks, all very practical gifts that I can use well to clothe, and even express, myself.

We give thanks to God for gifts, especially as we adore His greatest Gift.

20+C+M+B+14

(The above is something that is written above the door to the house on the occasion of Epiphany.  The 20 and 14 signify the year 2014.  The letters stand for the traditional names for the Magi: Caspar, Melchior, and Balthasar.  The four crosses represent the four seasons.)

No comments:

Post a Comment