Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Grapes of Anticipation for 2014

Happy New Year 2014!

There's a freshness abounding in the air as we step into a new calendar year.  But it's interesting to note how much in our lives is continuing on:  We're still in the middle of a week.  The Christmas liturgical season continues.  For those in education, the school year continues.  I'm still in the midst of being 22.

Nevertheless, New Year's Day is a time that makes us think about life with new perspective.  At this time, I offer up some musings on what I'm anticipating in 2014.  Similar to my musings on 2013 in my post yesterday, I'm using grapes to guide my thoughts:

Grape #1: I'm really looking forward to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.  This is usually the one sporting event that I actually make a point to watch, in great contrast to the big annual sporting event that I deliberately avoid, which will occur the Sunday before the Opening Ceremony.

Grape #2: I'm hoping that the Independent Maps amendment to the Illinois State Constitution will be approved by voters in the November 2014 elections, so that they will be part of the process of choosing their legislators every 10 years, not the legislators choosing their voters.

Grape #3: I'm looking forward to the great things that will come with Pope Francis continuing his leadership of the Roman Catholic Church.  Judging by 2013, I have great expectations.

Grape #4: I'm looking forward to reading more good books.  As the substance of my daily life changing with the end of college, I found myself with more time on hand to read books for pleasure in 2013, and read a number of good ones.  I hope to find time for more.

Grape #5: I look forward to engaging further in my role as a Valparaiso University alumnus, in whatever functions arise as such opportunities for me.

Grape #6: I hope to have a trip somewhere to some new place to experience some new sites, near or far away.  I furthermore hope that it will grant me more insight about what it means to be human, as my trips in 2013 did.

Grape #7: I look forward to seeing more advances in protecting the unborn, and strengthening the family, with one mom and one dad, and opportunities to take a stand in these and other worthy causes.

Grape #8: I look forward to more opportunities to interact with government officials, and be involved civicly, especially as this is an election year.

Grape #9: I look forward to attending Mass in Spanish more, which I hope is one of many meaningful ways to engage my Spanish skills.

Grape #10: I hope that great American minds will continue influencing our society for good, like Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio, Mike Huckabee, and Dr. Ben Carson have in 2013.

Grape #11: I hope for comprehensive immigration reform, for the sake of the immigrants and our country.

Grape #12: I'm really looking forward to more opportunities to impart my faith to others, especially young people in the context of the Religious Education program, and in other church ministries.

I hope in all these things, and more, I am able to put to good use the talents God has granted me that I may fulfill the vocation He has given to all people, to work in service to others, ultimately for the purposes of His greater glory.  To work, and do it for God's glory, that's two more grapes to add up to 14.

I look forward to sharing what happens in my life in 2014 with you, my blog readers.  Thanks for reading; I hope you've found it meaningful.

And may you be blessed by God in 2014 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment