Sunday, May 26, 2024

Celebrating, California Friends Style

March 16 this year was an opportunity for me to party like it's 1912 and 1991 all over again at the same time.

For me, March 16 is a day totally unlike the other 364 (or 365) days of the calendar year.  This year, I celebrated my birthday in a way unlike anything I've ever done previously.  Only twice before have I been outside of Illinois, when I was in my first two years of college.  This time, I went outside of Illinois and went more than 20 miles away from Lake Michigan, and ended up by an even bigger body of water.

About a year ago, I noticed the Nixon Library and Museum in Yorba Linda hosted festivities for the birthday of former First Lady Pat Nixon, whose birthday is also March 16.  I started thinking that maybe 2024 would be the year I'd be there, as something I could check off on my golden list, to celebrate my birthday partner.  Then, at the start of this year, I made arrangements with my friend Tyler for an extended weekend birthday excursion.

I was on my way on the evening of Friday, March 15, 2024.  A church friend took me to Midway.  On my way there, my former coworker Carrie sent a picture of dinner she was having and remarked her flight was delayed.  Realizing she was at Midway, I met up with her and we visited for a few minutes until it was time for me to board and she went to her gate for her flight.

While flying is not my cup of tea, my flight that day made me feel better about the experience.  Surprisingly to me, it wasn't a full flight, so I got a window seat, with great views, starting from the moment the plane went airborne: I could see the Chicago skyline and the vicinity around Oak Park.

Later, I could see the area around the Omaha and Winnebago Reservations in Nebraska, then Denver, and then Las Vegas--while I was without some kind of map, I had enough contextual clues to be fairly certain about seeing these places.

I mostly rested during the flight and then, for about an hour, prayed two different versions of the Stations of the Cross.

The flight departed about half an hour late, but landed right about on time at the Long Beach Airport, at 8:15 PM PDT, a travel time of about 4 hours.  (Please note that times in this post are PDT, except where otherwise stated.)  I really felt the vibe of southern California as soon as I walked out the airplane door and onto an open-air ramp, and walked outside along the edge of the tarmac to enter the airport terminal.  I was in the open air again in the central part of the terminal near the exit.  My friend Tyler was still on his way, so I sat at a counter in the south part of the terminal and used my computer for a few minutes.

When he was getting close, I stepped out to the curb, and then we were on our way to his apartment, about 30 minutes away, and parts of the drive were just yards from the Pacific shoreline.  Shortly after arriving, I met his friend Atalie.  And then it was time to bed down for the night.

The following morning, I awoke to my birthday for the first time in my life more than 20 miles from Lake Michigan, and just yards from the Pacific Ocean.

The view from Tyler's apartment toward the Pacific Ocean, which appears as a small sliver of blue near the center of the photo

I walked about 5 minutes to St. Mary by the Sea Parish for 8 AM Mass to start the day offering up thanksgiving to God. 

Above is outside St. Mary by the Sea, and below is the inside of the sanctuary.


I returned to Tyler's apartment for breakfast and then took a quick walk down to the beach.

Shortly after 10 AM, we departed for our day's outing to the Nixon Presidential Library and Museum, in Yorba Linda, which was hosting a Pat Nixon Day of Service event to celebrate her birthday.  Tyler offered the opportunity to ride in his convertible there.  We arrived about an hour later.  Our mutual friend Roy arrived around the same time.  It was great to join together for today's festivities at the museum, which included a wreath-laying ceremony, tables for various charitable and nonprofit organizations in the spirit of Pat Nixon's interest in service, birthday cake, and free admission.  Among the many tables on display was Polly's Pies Restaurant and Bakery, near the museum's entrance, which Roy and Tyler told me is a chain in Southern California. Their table handed out samples of cherry pie filling.

After watching the video presentation, we walked outside on the grounds and went to see the graves of Mr. and Mrs. Nixon, with a wreath in place to celebrate Pat Nixon's birthday.  

Here I am posing by the gravesites with the wreath in place. Please note that Tyler or Roy took all photos of just me on Saturday while at the museum.

A fellow visitor got this photo of us, the three amigos, at the podium.

We then went back inside to a replica of the East Room where there was birthday cake and a biographical video presentation about Pat Nixon's life.  

Birthday cake

Here I am posing with a piece of birthday cake.  I'm fairly certain Roy took this photo on his phone.

Then we ambled along a hallway with the various tables of charity and nonprofit organizations.

Nearing the end of the hallway, we came to the exhibit hall with a special temporary exhibit featuring George W. Bush's paintings of veterans who served in the past 2 decades.

A display of veterans' portraits in the gallery

Next, we went back outside, stopped by the 4H display with farm animals, and then joined the line to go inside the Nixon birth home.  The site of the museum was a lemon grove that his parents owned at the time of Richard's birth, but they weren't there for too long.  A short walk past the house was the Marine helicopter that served Richard Nixon and several other presidents.

Farm animals at the 4H display

Outside the Nixon birthplace home

Above and below are views of the inside of the Nixon birthplace home, taken in the front living room space.


In the kitchen

Roy or Tyler photographed me together with the famous son of Illinois.

Here I am striking President Nixon's famous pose at the Marine helicopter.  I can't remember if the docent took this, or one of my friends.

We subsequently went back inside the museum to visit the main gallery.  Among the highlights were an Oval Office replica, official gifts given to President Nixon, and one of the many yellow legal pads he used to write his thoughts.  One area of emphasis was his foreign policy efforts, especially working to establish relations with China.  After recounting the Watergate scandal and his resignation from office, the exhibit gallery did a flashback to his earlier years in California before focusing on his post-presidency.

Here's the museum's model of the Nixon Oval Office.  Toward the right is a photo taken on the Moon.

Here I am posing with the desk behind me.  Roy or Tyler likely took this photo.

One of President Nixon's yellow legal pads, of which he used many to record his notes.

Roy photographed me in the part of the exhibit on President Nixon's historic trip to China.

The infamous Oval Office tape recorder

A display cabinet with official state gifts to President Nixon

Roy photographed me by Mrs. Nixon's official portrait.

Mrs. Nixon's famous red coat

The part of the main exhibit about the Watergate scandal

Display of Mr. Nixon's earlier life

Model of the Nixon birth home

Display of Mr. Nixon's law office before his presidency

President Nixon with President Clinton

Here I am next to a display of a photo that shows a birthday celebration for Pat Nixon. I think Roy may have taken this one.

In the lobby of the museum

Here I am standing outside the museum.


I did my best to get a photo as we drove by the museum complex.  Tyler quipped, "It's not a crooked photo."

Around 3:30, we departed to get a quick bite to eat.  We went to Tacos San Pedro, a small Mexican restaurant where we continued to enjoy each other's company.  I had a couple of tacos with Manzanita apple soda.  As we sat down at our table, I noticed a display on the wall for John 3:16 in Spanish, which is just like my birthday, 3-16.

Tacos I ordered

Here I pose by the sign with Juan 3:16.

Exterior of strip mall with Tacos San Pedro

We then took Roy back to his parking spot near the museum, and parted ways.  Tyler and I headed to Pasadena to meet with his young adult ministry (YAM) group at Assumption Parish.  There was a little bit of rain that started after our light meal, and continued as we drove to the church, but it cleared by the time we got there.

Exterior of Assumption Church

Above and below are views of the interior of Assumption Church. Notice the skylight above the altar and the colors of the stained glass windows.


Following the Saturday evening Mass was a St. Joseph's Table dinner.  The YAM group sat at a table together for the meal.  It was a grand meal, with salad, breadsticks, pasta, and meatballs, along with lots of desserts.  Notably, one person in the group, Monica, was also celebrating her birthday that day.  Later during the meal, Celine, another person in the group, brought out a banana cake to celebrate Monica's birthday, and brought me into it.  When the priest caught wind of the two birthdays at the table, he led the whole room in a blessing for Monic and me, followed by the Birthday song.  I was so delighted to be in such wonderful company on my birthday, with a great group of people who truly evoke the spirit of Church community, and I was so grateful for how they extended that strong sense of fellowship to include me.  It really added a special touch to my birthday.

Entree of pasta and salad

A variety of desserts

Celine's banana cake

Shortly after 8 PM, Tyler and I departed for the return to his apartment.  Once back, I took a quick walk down by the beach, admiring the stars in the sky and listening to the sound of the waves before bedtime.

Tyler photographed me as I posed by his convertible.

I was up very early in the morning on Sunday, March 17, around 3:20 AM.  By 4 AM, I was in Tyler's car and we headed to Asuza.  There, he joined a carpool with some of his friends, and they were all headed to participate in the Los Angeles Marathon.  

Tyler posed ready to go for a marathon run.

They kindly dropped me off at the APU/Citrus College Metro Station, where I boarded the A Line that departed around 5:20.  

The A Line train waiting to begin its run at the APU/Citrus College Station.

About an hour later, I was in downtown Los Angeles, and I walked through the quiet streets to the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels for 8 AM Mass.  I was there before it opened so I took in the scene nearby at the intersection of Temple Street and Grand Avenue, which was ready for the marathon runners.  After stepping inside the Cathedral grounds, I went back outside and spectated at the intersection as the marathon runners passed.

Los Angeles City Hall in the early morning light.

Sunrise at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels

Here, marathon runners turn the corner at Temple and Grand.

I was back inside the Cathedral right before 8 AM Mass started.  There is such a lofty, grand feeling inside the sanctuary, especially looking at the artwork of the saints, and even seeing the sunlight pour through a window above the altar with a cross embedded in it.  I had been inside a couple of years ago when I was in between trains at Los Angeles Union Station and walked over.  This time, I felt sense of divine power present attending Mass there, with the architectural and artistic elements offering a transcendent feel, not to mention other elements like the incense.  After Mass, I lingered in prayer and also bought some postcards at the gift shop.

St. Patrick appears to the far right of the leftmost panel.

The morning light pours through the window over the altar.

The courtyard of the Cathedral is bathed in morning light.

Around 10 AM, I boarded the A Line at the Historic Broadway station and was on my way to Long Beach.  I arrived there in less than an hour.  

To the far left in this photo is the Watts Towers Art Center.

Display board inside the train

The train departs the Willow Street Station.

View of the Willow Street Station looking north

Once I was off the train, I started walking toward an Albertson's to get lunch, and then pivoted to buy lunch at Hong Kong Express, which was chicken, vegetables, and fried rice.  From there, it was a short walk to the intersection of Willow Street and Long Beach Boulevard where I boarded a Long Beach bus that took me directly to the airport.  I walked all over to find a mailbox to deposit my postcards, and after asking an airport employee, I finally found it.

Once inside, I found a spot in the open air part of the terminal to eat lunch and talk with Mom and Dad.  My flight was delayed, and I made good use of the time for spiritual activities on the Internet.

I think my friends' company during the weekend for my birthday put me in a certain glow, combined with the good vibes I got from sitting in the sun under palm trees at the Long Beach Airport, and then when I walked outside the terminal along the tarmac and then to the other end of the plane, and up the stairs to board through the back end, which was a first for me.

Above and below area views of the open-air area of the Long Beach Airport terminal




Thanks to my Mom, who checked me in for my flights while I was visiting the Nixon Museum, I was in the A boarding group, and so I was one of the first people to board the plane, which was decorated with elements from the Nevada state flag.  

Walking along the edge of the tarmac toward the plane, with artistic elements from the Nevada flag

The seating was still wide open when I entered the plane.  So I picked a window seat for myself. As the plane filled, it got to the point when pretty much only middle seats were left.  At one point, I looked around and saw two ladies, clearly close in relationship, searching for two seats together, but there were none to be found.  Something stirred in me, and I spoke up to them, and offered to move across the aisle to a middle seat so they could have two seats together.  They immediately accepted my offer and I saw the expression on their faces light up as they thanked me.

My itinerary back to Chicago included two flights, the first from Long Beach to Denver.  The plane was slightly delayed when it departed, shortly after 3 PM PDT, but still made good time reaching Denver.  Because the turbulence curtailed the smooth parts of the flight, the attendants never had enough time to serve drinks, although it felt smooth.  As the plane neared landing, I could see snow on the ground in the Denver Metro Area, but not so much in the vicinity of the airport.  As we waited to exit the plane, the two ladies across the aisle turned to me and thanked me again for the seats.  I could tell that they had enjoyed the opportunity to spend the flight seated next to each other.

I exited the plane and immediately sought an info board to determine the location and status of my next flight from Denver to O'Hare Airport.  I still had plenty of time, so I walked through the C Terminal looking for a spot to get dinner.  I ended up getting a turkey wrap, which was aptly in a spinach-colored wrap.

The flight to O'Hare was delayed since the plane for it had a more involved process because it had come from Cancun and then had to be brought from the A Terminal to the C Terminal.  Around 7:45 PM MDT, we got the boarding call.  Once again, I was one of the first people to board, since I was in the A group.  I had a wide selection of seats available, and I picked a window seat.

The flight wasn't at full capacity, but eventually, there were only middle seats left.  I noticed a man and a woman searching for two seats together, and weren't finding them.  I felt a stirring again, and I turned toward them and offered to move across the aisle to a middle seat so they could have two seats together.  The woman responded that if I would be willing to do so, they would appreciate it.  So off I went again across the aisle.

The plane was on its way around 8:15 PM MDT. During the ride, I ate the wrap I had bought and did some journaling.  As we neared landing, I looked out and saw the skyline of Chicago, which was a surprise because I didn't think we would approach O'Hare from the east.  And I delighted in bringing things full circle toward the end of my birthday weekend as the plane flew over the North Side of Chicago and the places significant to the start of my life, including Swedish Covenant Hospital, the first home where I lived on Lockwood Avenue, and St. Cornelius Church.

The plane reached the gate around 11 PM or so, and we had to wait for the jetway to be brought over so we could exit.  As we waited, the man of the couple across the aisle turned to me and thanked me sincerely for offering them the seats together.  I knew it had been the right decision, because during the ride, when I glanced across the aisle I saw the man and woman holding hands and cuddling close to each other.  While flying can be a soulless experience, I had a stirring that inspired me to bring a more human touch to the experience and ignite some positive energy.

Having spent such a wonderful weekend celebrating with my friends, who offered me such great hospitality in spending time with me, I was fully aware of the power of what a gift is, to offer something just for the purpose of giving to edify someone else, and not necessarily to gain anything tangible from it.

Thinking back to hours earlier when I was at Mass, I furthermore marvel at the gift that God offered in His Son so that we could not just live a physical life, but live an abundant Life in Him, and live it out as a blessing to others.

I certainly felt good vibrations being in southern California, taking in lots of history with my birthday partner, enjoying the good company of friends, and celebrating the power of what a gift is.

Here I pose in the Nixon Museum by Pat Nixon's photo.

Here's a sign for the day's event outside the museum by Yorba Linda Boulevard.

No comments:

Post a Comment