Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Lifelong Learning at 8 Years

As I mark the 8th anniversary of my MLIS graduation from Dominican University, it's a good time to party like it's 2016 and to once again think how I've been learning even beyond school.

Recently, at work, I've had the opportunity to share what I do.  Two employees from children's services have come to the Materials Management workroom to shadow us.  They go around to the different employees in our workroom.  At my desk, I show the steps for how a book get copy cataloging and then get its codes so that it's ready to be processed and to go on the shelves.   One of the employees remarked that she didn't realize how much could be done in the back end of our library's computer system.  With another employee, I ended up showing her about the books' call numbers for biographies, and from there explained a little bit about authority files.  She definitely got interested in what I was showing her and we chatted for a little bit after I finished showing her the steps.  These shadowing days remind me of the adage that the best way to learn something is to teach it.

I've also participated in some interesting webinars at work, hosted by RAILS, the organization that oversees library in northern Illinois.  A couple of weeks ago was a webinar on different generational  dynamics.  The presenter was super engaging.  He discussed the different generations, Baby Boomer, Generation X, Millennials, and Generation Z, and how the events and circumstances of their times influenced them in their formative years and shape their attitudes.  One example he used is that more recent generations are more energized when someone leads with the "why" of doing something.  Toward the end of the presentation, he noted that there's a cycle where crisis events and tough times produce good people who want to do good and change the world.  Eventually, people feel settled, and then tough times arise again.  He said these cycles happen in 80 year periods.  There were so many fascinating insights and I could sense that many people found the time well worth spent.  Hearing this presenter's commentary on generation dynamics gave me some new perspectives on how events of the past few decades has shaped attitudes and experiences of people.

Indeed, there's so much out there to learn and ponder.  During the Easter Season, the Eucharistic Revival has been hosting weekly Mystagogy presentations about the Eucharist.  These presentations are a great way to keep building upon the knowledge of faith I have gained throughout my life to gain better insight into what happens at Mass.  Fortunately, they've arranged for several bishops to carve out time in their full schedules to teach about faith, which is one of their primary roles.

And on the subject of teaching, just yesterday, another Religious Education year concluded as students, parents, and catechists gathered for Mass in the evening.  It was a chance for us to think about what we've learned, how we've encountered God in our learning, and what we can draw from it as we go forth.  My own Religious Education experience set me up to an awareness of how much there is to learn, and how to act on faith by leading others in learning and encounters with God.  So it has been a blessing to bring it full circle by accompanying the next generation in their own faith journey, which is a matter of lifelong learning that leads us deeper into Truth.

1 comment: