Sunday, May 19, 2024

Post-College 11 Years: In the Spirit

I fully feel that I've come full circle as I party like it's 2013 and celebrate the 11th anniversary of my Valparaiso University graduation.

May 19 this year is not only on a Sunday, it is also Pentecost Sunday, like it was in 2013.  I've always thought of my graduation in the lens of Pentecost and the working of the Holy Spirit leading me to that day, and what has happened since.

After attending a Lutheran preschool, I went to public schools for grades K-12. Then I circled back to a Lutheran institution for college.  While even public schools have mission statements, I found a greater sense of purpose being at a church-based institution that draws from Christian principles for its mission.

In that atmosphere, I had a greater awareness of faith, and I could see the Gifts of the Holy Spirit at work.  I used right judgment in making important decisions as I poised myself for "the real world"--whatever that really means--not to mention courage in facing life's challenges.  Knowledge led to understanding, wisdom, and definitely wonder and awe.  As I studied meteorology and learned more about what happens in the skies above us that drives weather, I could look up with more wonder at what was happening before me.  Studying texts in Christ College helped me probe life with a more philosophical lens, and, in a way, encouraged me to ponder more deeply what brings purpose to life, and, as I came to see, how faith informs that sense of purpose.  I enjoyed the opportunity to cap off my Spanish studies throughout my K-12 years with a minor, as a way to more deeply appreciate the language that I exerted effort in studying, which was a way to connect with my heritage.

Besides the atmosphere informed by the university's Christian principles, St. Teresa's also did much to enliven my faith and my sense of purpose in life.  I grew up close to church and considered faith important.  Certainly, the physical proximity of St. Teresa's right next to campus spoke to the deepening sense of faith awareness in my life that I experienced, that I could connect even more closely with faith, bringing it into my life beyond time specifically spent in liturgical gatherings.  Attending Chapel liturgies contributed, too.  I developed a greater sense of reverence for God's presence around me.

I was back at St. Teresa's two weeks ago to help prepare and serve the meal following the student-focused Sunday evening Mass, the final time for that liturgy of the school year.  Once people were seated and had eaten, there was a time for recognizing the graduates, with each getting an accolade from a fellow student.  It was heartwarming and inspirational to see the powerful sense of community that is present at St. Teresa's, much like it was when I was there.  Connecting with people who had a strong sense of faith, at St. Teresa's and elsewhere, including my close friends, made an impact on me.  I'm glad to still have a close group of friends to keep up with from those college days, testifying to the wonderful power of relationships forged in those days on the fields of Valparaiso as we support each other while following our life's pursuits, responding to our own challenges, sharing interesting tidbits, or sharing a joke, like through our group text message.

When I was in the transition to college, the primary conception I had was that it was another level of schooling, with a major difference that I would be away from home, and it was something that everyone talks about, whether their own college experiences or the latest research study done at a university.  Once at ValpU, I discovered that my life would be enhanced in so many ways, especially in the convergence of faith and other aspects, including academics and social life.  The Holy Spirit has been at work to help us do our work with purpose, as God intended for it.  Indeed, my time at ValpU helped enrich my life in many ways, and it's been a delight to be back in Oak Park to make much of what I gained on the fields of Valparaiso to make an impact.

I remember that President Heckler at the Baccalaureate Service in the Chapel remarked that we were at a nexus point upon our graduation, much like the apostles were on Pentecost.  Reflecting on that remark, I recall instances when I built up a sense of mission in college that would send me forth.  In the final two years, I volunteered with the Compass Educational Program, tutoring elementary school students with their schoolwork, especially those in Hispanic families.  I started it as a way to keep connected with Hispanic culture while I had a break in my Spanish studies.  I ended up embracing it with a sense of passion in how I was serving the larger community.  The trip to St. Augustine Mission was an extraordinary way I served, and also connected with others, those in my group, and the people in the community by St. Augustine in northeast Nebraska.

Graduating from college enlivened by faith capped off the blooming of faith I experienced in middle school, and that made me eager to channel it.  I found my outlet in Religious Education, which I have done every year since my ValpU graduation, and I just finished my 11th year.  It was so fitting that today, I celebrated my graduation anniversary by attending the catechist appreciation brunch, and marveling at what we've experience in Religious Education this year as a community.

It's clear that college impacted me in many ways, both in my sense of knowledge and most especially in faith.  These 11 years since have been a great opportunity to put into action what I gained, keeping in tune with the Holy Spirit who keeps me fresh in what matters most in life.  This blog has been a great way for me to reflect on life in the spirit of the notes I wrote each week sharing about what was happening with me at college and then reflecting on the significance.  I'm glad to have reached another year of blogging here.

There was so much to celebrate 11 years ago, and I remember the excitement that surrounded the occasion, and of my professors, and the family who came to be present for the ceremony.  As I reflect back 11 years later, I still have so much to celebrate.

I have a sign, which I believe was a graduation gift, which says, "What you are is God's gift to you...What you make of yourself is your gift to God."  Truly I can sense that my years at ValpU solidified a sense of the great gift of myself God has given me, enhanced by faith, and made me more ready than ever to offer myself back to Him as a blessing to others, enlivened by the joy of the Holy Spirit.

Here I am, back at St. Teresa's, getting ready to serve the meal after the student-focused evening Mass.  A fellow volunteer helping with the meal photographed me here in the kitchen.


I proclaimed the account of the descent of the Holy Spirit from Acts 2 at a special Mass held for graduates and their families at St. Teresa's the evening before my graduation.  I took this photo when I was back at St. Teresa's yesterday to celebrate my graduation anniversary weekend.  I proclaimed that passage at Mass this morning at Ascension as I celebrated this special occasion.



No comments:

Post a Comment